Discuss PIR Pricing - ridiculous in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

jedisparks

that quote is cheap your doing them a favour for that price. I work for a small family company we do work for a small college and like some of the other guys say, a company that does there PAT testing also plugs a martindale into the sockets then sticks a pass sticker on and thne college thinks this is inspection and testing. We are trying to educate them but it could take a while. I think some sort of goverment body should step in to tell them whats required.

Eddie, Until i have the ability to turn down work like some sparks i have to take every thing i can,

So far i have done a few jobs for the management company and i have been lined up more, i would rather be out earning some money rather than none at all..!

like i said it fills my book and keeps cash coming in maybe not as much as i like but rather me than some body else!

Eddie, Until i have the ability to turn down work like some sparks i have to take every thing i can,

So far i have done a few jobs for the management company and i have been lined up more, i would rather be out earning some money rather than none at all..!

like i said it fills my book and keeps cash coming in maybe not as much as i like but rather me than some body else!

My point is that u are doing work very cheap , therefore people will tell there mates that u are cheap , and then expect similar.

where i work i am constantly competing with companies who employ cheap labour . therefore the average daily rate is forced down to compete.

If we didnt charge low just to get work then the average price would increase

Ok just to give you an update. I spoke to the client today and she said the letting agent told her that the their sparks would do an "EIS certificate". I just said ive never heard of one of those, but if thats all they want you to have then go for it.

She said she didnt want to risk it and rather they used me because they know me etc. and can take care fo any probs while theyre away. so ok ive got the job in the end albeit for a cheap price. But has anyone heard of an EIS certificate coz i havent?

thanks for all your replies by the way

eis, could be a companys own offer of a service i have heard one offering a "electrical inspection service" could be that as you know it`s not a pir most probably just an inspection but when the customer thinks they are getting the same thing for a lot less money thats where the genuine sparks loose out. glad your customers value and trust you to take your offer rather than the cheaper option customers like that are great, and plenty of good word of mouth follow up`s.

I have not read much of this post but
They don't have to do a PIR legally do they.

sounds like a scam to me just giving there clients something that sounds important but has no merit really.
You thought PIR the client would prob think she's getting just that for £85

Scam being do over the electrician and make them look expensive so the client pays the agent £85 for next to nothing.

I would be inclined ask your customer to ask for an example cert from the agent and then you could explain the reality.

I bet the agent would not do that though.. Alarm bells for your client subsequently

Just my thoughts

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok just to give you an update. I spoke to the client today and she said the letting agent told her that the their sparks would do an "EIS certificate". I just said ive never heard of one of those, but if thats all they want you to have then go for it.

She said she didnt want to risk it and rather they used me because they know me etc. and can take care fo any probs while theyre away. so ok ive got the job in the end albeit for a cheap price. But has anyone heard of an EIS certificate coz i havent?

thanks for all your replies by the way

I would say she probably means an EIC certificate. They will probably do a Zs, estimate an R1R2 from that, make up some RCD tripping times and write '>200' on an installation cert! Yay!

We do alot of work on rented properties, when we were approached to do something similar, we gave a price and the same thing, they thought we were miles out, I then asked to see previous "Landlord certificates" and the people who currently do the testing, simply do a visual and Earth loop tests on socket circuits, and thats it.

Until people are educated on what is required, or the whole PIR system is revamped so that people know what they are paying for, this kind of thing will continue.

The beloved NICEIC those would be rulers of the universe actually sell pads of DOMESTIC VISUAL CONDITION REPORT which as we all know doesnt exsist anywhere within the regs and isnt worth the paper it`s written on as it clearly states on the back of it that it is a joke and a full PIR is a proper test, i believe the going rate for one of these is £50 so the letting agent is bunking this up to £85 and the householder sods off abroad believing the house is nice and safe when really no-one knows, A big shout out to the government and the NICEIC for ousting the cowboys with part P :rolleyes:

A big shout out to the government and the NICEIC for ousting the cowboys with part P :rolleyes:

Part P hasn't ousted the cowboy's it provided HMRC with a traceable work history for tax purposes. There are a lot of Part P cowboys out there I've seen their work!

The people that do it for 85 quid spend 20 mins make results up put limitations to cover them. If a person trusts you and you are honest in your approach let them pay 85 quid for a micky mouse PIR. The price you set is also cheap but i understand you see them as a good customer but to do PIR in the right manner could take several hours we all know its rare to visit a job with paper work and circuits identified. I would advise the couple and if they want to burn 85 quid let them

the biggest mickey mouse outfit of all is the niceic for providing these visual inspection certificates, also anyone who is competent can do a PIR and it isnt notifiable under part p, why then do niceic want an extra £280 on top of your part p registration for them to "allow" you to do PIR's?

Reply to PIR Pricing - ridiculous in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net