Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss PME & Broken neutral in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Knobhead

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I know some countries use protection to guard against a broken neutral in PME systems.
Anyone know how they work?

snowhead

-
Mentor
There was a post recently on here where someone posted a drawing showing it.

RCD before the N to E connection??

K

Knobhead

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought along those lines but it’s prone to imported faults

E

Edd

I know some countries use protection to guard against a broken neutral in PME systems.
Anyone know how they work?
Acording to E54 it never happens, so why bother.

K

Knobhead

It happened to my house years back.

E

Edd

seen it 3-4 times now, last time it had taken out the flexy hoses under the kitchen sink, when they turned the shower on! scarry stuff. but hey they had a good Ze :)

As snowhead says wonder why they dont fit a 100A 500ma RCD before the NE join.

Jimmy Boy

-
Arms
Speak to the DNO ask them if you can fit an Earth Rod as a back up they will probably say no but do it anyway lol
J

Sintra

Admin
Supporter
Speak to the DNO ask them if you can fit an Earth Rod as a back up they will probably say no but do it anyway lol
J

That is the way it is done in some countries an external electrode is connected to the N / E juncture within the service head.

Jimmy Boy

-
Arms
That is the way it is done in some countries an external electrode is connected to the N / E juncture within the service head.
As the N/E are shared at the head can you see any problem with taking a rod from MET ? I am struggling to find a reason how this wouldn't improve the safety of the installation if you lost the Neutral
J

Jimmy Boy

-
Arms
I don't quite get where he's saying it should be positioned in relation to it's effectiveness ? My CU has a 30mA non delayed RCD as a main switch will it trip out if the N drops out ? it's the same as his diagram isn't it ?
J

snowhead

-
Mentor
I don't quite get where he's saying it should be positioned in relation to it's effectiveness ? My CU has a 30mA non delayed RCD as a main switch will it trip out if the N drops out ? it's the same as his diagram isn't it ?
J
This is looking at loosing the incoming neutral, before the Neutral / Earth connection, the normal C.U RCD can't detect that.
Current flow thro' the C.U rcd won't be any different.
The Green / Yellow ("Earth") now becomes a return waiting for someone to complete the path.

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools

Reply to PME & Broken neutral in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico 3000 Range
Top Bottom