Discuss POLL - Neutrals at switches in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

You only have to look at some of the pictures provided in the other thread to see that its bad practise putting so many cables into such a small backbox. Using a switch as a junction box is terrible. The only people to have a switch that encorporates this is hager (as far as I know), so it can't be that common otherwise all the manufacturers would have this encorporated.

DoBBY. Welcome back.

9 times out of 10 its loop in at the switch for me, much less hassle when doing fancy light fittings... and as already mentioned if many cables put a deeper box in... but thats just me!

Loop to switch cos putting those small light fittings up with 9+ wires in can be a right pain. pluse must better when doing down lights no messy box in voids

p+n loop to the switch all day long, why make things hard for yourself. any faults when you test through, theres no need to "get the steps out the van" as its all there in front of you at the switch. the only reason you wouldnt be able to fit a few extra cables into a backbox is if your using 16mm boxes, which i never use anyway so no problems.

anybody use 10 way lighting boxes on rewires and lighting alterations etc?

think the thread missed the eye of his needle. now that's got a point!

I should have put a forth option when I started the Poll.

1.Acceptable
2.Unacceptable
3.Undecided
4.Don't really care... and now bored with the whole thing

My point is that it's a pointless discussion.
There is nothing wrong with the practice of having neutrals at switches. Even the NICEIC endorse it. The mind boggles sometimes.

It would be pointless if there was only one point of view......as there are two points of view I dont see how it can be a pointless discussion.

Two points of view?
How the hell can there even be two points of view?
There is nothing wrong with neutrals at switches and that should be the end of it. There shouldn't be a second opinion to this amongst individuals that should know what they are doing.
Why would neutrals at a switch be any different to neutrals at a light or even a junction box? Hell maybe we shouldn't even be joining neutrals at consumer units eh?
The six that voted no, need to retrain or enter another profession.

Reply to POLL - Neutrals at switches in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net