Discuss Powering a new light from a 2 way switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

limbri

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, currently we have 2 uplights on the front of our property and we are looking to add a 3rd onto a new porch that has been built. The current lighting has a 2 way switch so the lights can be switched on and off from the garage or by the front door. Looking at my poor attempt of a diagram below is it possible to connect the Light 2 to Switch 2 at all and if so how could i go about this? Due to the layout of the property i can't get a cable to run back from Light 2 to the power in/out loop. Hope this makes sense and someone is able to help.

Lighting Help.jpg

Hi, currently we have 2 uplights on the front of our property and we are looking to add a 3rd onto a new porch that has been built. The current lighting has a 2 way switch so the lights can be switched on and off from the garage or by the front door. Looking at my poor attempt of a diagram below is it possible to connect the Light 2 to Switch 2 at all and if so how could i go about this? Due to the layout of the property i can't get a cable to run back from Light 2 to the power in/out loop. Hope this makes sense and someone is able to help.

View attachment 55303
A difficult diagram to decypher

A difficult diagram to decypher
I will try and explain it but not sure i can do much better lol, we have the lights powered through the switch instead of the loop at the ceiling rose. Switch one has 3 Twin and Earth cables, Power feed in and out and then 1 to the light and then a 3 core cable going to the second Switch and then i am trying to just add the additional light with a Twin and earth cable to the second switch if that is possible at all, due to the layout of the property i can't really get the new light cable back to the power loop i can only get it to the second switch.
[automerge]1579117120[/automerge]
please could you put up a diagram of the two way switch if possible .the only way of doing that
1) your self
2) a spark that know what he is doing .
The second switch just has the 3 core cable going to it, i appreciate the diagram above is pretty poor but it does include the second switch. I plan on getting a spark round to connect up but have been let down by the last one not turning up and i am trying to figure out if what i want is actually possibly or if i am going to have the pain of trying to run a new cable which with the layout of the house would be a last resort.

Last edited:
I plan on getting a spark round to connect up but have been let down by the last one not turning up and i am trying to figure out if what i want is actually possibly or if i am going to have the pain of trying to run a new cable which with the layout of the house would be a last resort
has POST 2# just to literate you are not covered by your insurance for altering any wiring or doing any work that involves any electrical work.

has POST 2# just to literate you are not covered by your insurance for altering any wiring or doing any work that involves any electrical work.
Thanks, this will be done and connected up by a spark when one turns up i just want to try and find out if what i want is actually possible first of all as i don't want to have to run a new cable if i can avoid it.

Do you want it to operate with the existing lights.
Yes, the 2 way switch is currenlty working fine and i just want to connect the new light so that it operates with others. I believe this would normally take a feed from the current lights but as they are the opposite end of the house i would need to take the feed from the second switch with just has the 3 core cable going to it from the first switch if that is possible.

I think I have figured out what is going on there from your diagram.
it is not going to work without the blue wire being accessible for your new light.

I suggest that you ask the spark to come up with a solution as this is unlikely to be solved without a site visit.

sorry for the bad news.

Reply to Powering a new light from a 2 way switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net