Discuss Providing a risk assesment and method statement for a customer?! in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I've been trying to organise abit of pat testing with a customer, and he's asked if I can show him a risk assessment, method statement, and my public liability certs... Now the final one is easy, but the first two?

He already asked to see my electrical certs (which you don't need for pat testing)

I've never been on their site, so how can I provide a risk assessment? Or am I being stupid? I mean its only PAT testing?

What should I say to this guy? Or should I get me pen out and start filling in some sort of risk assessment?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Do a google search for the Risk assesment, you'll find loads of examples, then just use the format which suites you best. It only has to be basic

When you say method statement, do you mean 'Safe Isolation Method Statement'? .....if so, you should know that one mate

Nah, just a general work method statement,

I know how to do a risk assessment, I just can't quite work out what I'd put on there never having been on their site? Apart from electricity obv....

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

just lay it out into five steps....

1) Hazards

2) Who might be harmed

3) Steps made to control risk

4) Further action taken

5) Review date

Thats how i do it. The answers are quite obvious

Risk assessments are normally carried out internally, however if they wish one ask what exactly they want.

In the meantime you can set up a matrix comprising the task, hazard, who may be affected by your actions, list control measures. To expand on this you could then look at the hazard severity and the likelihood of occurrence and score it v.low, low, med, high, v high then assign a risk rating of L M or H. All of them will likely be low.

Hi guys.

I've been trying to organise abit of pat testing with a customer, and he's asked if I can show him a risk assessment, method statement, and my public liability certs... Now the final one is easy, but the first two?

He already asked to see my electrical certs (which you don't need for pat testing)

I've never been on their site, so how can I provide a risk assessment? Or am I being stupid? I mean its only PAT testing?

What should I say to this guy? Or should I get me pen out and start filling in some sort of risk assessment?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Don't you believe it as the site where I work unless you have PAT testing certificate then you are not allowed to do it

It's always a good idea to be clued up on risk assessments, they can pop up when you don't expect them in any business!
With PAT testing I know you don't need any certs but a certificate of competency/completion of training would go a long way to put people's mind at rest if you can obtain one, I'm still waiting for mine after 9 months from the training provider (who promised they would be sent to my employer) and it seems to have just disappeared.

Reply to Providing a risk assesment and method statement for a customer?! in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net