Discuss Qualified but cant find a job. Please help ! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am 31 years old, and completed my City and Guilds Parts 1 + 2 in electrical installation over a year ago now with credits and distinctions, but have been struggling to find a job ever since. I have posted my Cv to numerous companies and have applied for several positions but with no success to date. The biggest problem I have found is that most companies require you to have at least 3 years experience, which I dont have. Can anyone suggest the best place for me to look. Im starting to wonder wether my age has anything to do with it. and Im starting to get a bit disillusioned about the whole thing now, as apparantley the country is crying out for sparkies. I live in Walton-on-Thames in the Surrey area, and any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Your age is NOT against you.

Persevere. Phone, e-mail cv's, visit contractors/firms in person. Sell yourself to them.
You WILL find something eventually. Just got to keep on trucking.

Daz have you thought about getting into a kitchen/bathroom fitting company, that way you will pick up some experience while still trying to get into a sparks company.

I am in my first year of the 2330 will be doing level 3 next year...i wrote to loads of companies and one has taken me on as an improver....they have said when i finnish my studies they will take mying.:)e on as a jib electrician...so just keep trying

I am in my first year of the 2330 will be doing level 3 next year...i wrote to loads of companies and one has taken me on as an improver....they have said when i finnish my studies they will take mying.:)e on as a jib electrician...so just keep trying

Who's mying? And why will they take him on when you finish your studies?

its the old story of "what if we hire him and he,s crap?"suggest a trial period ,say a month
a

So why have I still got a job then wayne?

Last edited by a moderator:
They won't take you on as a JIB sparks as the JIB don't recognise 2330 and so the best you can do is stay as an 'improver'. However, the co may pay you JIB rates. The only way the JIB will recognise you as a sparks is if, after your level 2&3 2330 you sit your NVQ3 which is a log book and AM2 exam.

bane, if i knew why crap sparks are kept in employment maybe then i could moan about that instead ,:D so how do you manage to stay employed?:p
cirrus is right, nvq3=spark according to jib and they wont budge:mad:

bane, if i knew why crap sparks are kept in employment maybe then i could moan about that instead ,:D so how do you manage to stay employed?:p
cirrus is right, nvq3=spark according to jib and they wont budge:mad:

the JIB can shove it where the sun dont shine

I've had NVQ L3 for about 13 or 14 years

trouble is it says 'Electrical Maintenance Engineering' on mine, so they wont recognise it

so its not as easy as NVQ3, it has to be the RIGHT NVQ 3

----@&s:mad::mad:

They won't take you on as a JIB sparks as the JIB don't recognise 2330 and so the best you can do is stay as an 'improver'. However, the co may pay you JIB rates. The only way the JIB will recognise you as a sparks is if, after your level 2&3 2330 you sit your NVQ3 which is a log book and AM2 exam.

Which is what i am going to do.I said finish my studies not finnish the 2330:D

Reply to Qualified but cant find a job. Please help ! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net