Currently reading:
Quick Fluorescent tube?

Discuss Quick Fluorescent tube? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

ParaJack

Hi, I've just been to both Wickes and Screwfix to get a replacement 1500mm x 36mm fluorescent tube. However, both places said that they haven't seen the 36mm tubes for a long time! Screwfix suggested to try the 26 mm tube in the fitting and see if it works as the pins are exactly the same width apart.

I put the slimmer tube into the fitting and it turned on straight away, so my question is: Is it 100% safe to use a 26mm diameter fluorescent tube in a 36mm holder?

May be a daft question, but I thought I'd make sure!

This is the new tube Sylvania Luxline Plus Triphosphor Fluorescent Tube T8 5200Lm 58W | NoLinkingToThis

The old tube just says Sylvania F 65/80 W/W

Thanks in advance :)

You may get slightly shorter lifespan if the tube is over-ballasted with an inductive ballast, most electronic ballasts will compensate to some degree if a lower wattage tube is installed. Bottom line is if the original tube isn't available then give it a whirl, if the tube doesn't last very long then convert to an electronic ballast if it's wirewound at present.

Reply to Quick Fluorescent tube? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock