Discuss rate my fuse box (or consumer unit to be politically correct!) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

Hawk

Job done today. What do you think? I thought it was quite sexy! :eek:

Attachments

• rate my fuse box (or consumer unit to be politically correct!) IMAG1469 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMAG1469.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 334
  • rate my fuse box (or consumer unit to be politically correct!) IMAG1477 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMAG1477.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 264
I was thinking that after I had it finished. But can make space if needs be in the future. Means if a diyer comes along there's no chance of him installing a breaker without rcd protection.

...there is a space on the wall where a nice fire-extinguisher could go...bearing in mind its' flammable nature :cool3:

Looks tidy enough fella,course,i'd have to test it myself,to be sure...:tt1:

Cheers. I will recommend a fire extinguisher. Good idea. Sort of regret not going for a metal board. But hey it's done now! Ze: 0.26 and Pfc: 0.9kA and kfc on the way home! :D

Don't listen to the miserable buggers, that's a nice clean and tidy job now go and give yourself several pats on the back.

Last edited:
Hi Hawk, I like the boxing in I will use that idea when lowering a CU in a suitable location.

One thing though, I never use plywood because I thought it was flammable?

Don't think there is anything that states you can't mount a CU onto combustible material, if fact I can't think of any other material you could use; I suppose you could use plasterboard and a timber sub frame? Wylex are marketing a metal pattress or use with their metal CU's.

Nice neat job all in all. I have used boxwork myself before to conceal cables, although not behind a DB. It proved very useful on one job in particular to get cables from one floor to the next in a domestic rewire.

I would have probably used 100x50 trunking in your case, but that's only my personal preference.

I know someone who got pulled on their annual assessment for having concealed meter tails (boxed in like yours) without RCD protection. Just something you may wish to consider. Or not.

The original fuseboards were in the cupboard beside the meter as in the picture. The cables ran behind the bit above which was already boxed in with plywood. All I did was move the new consumer unit up and replaced the plywood. I upgraded the tails to 25mm and took them up to the new position. Do you think I should have an upfront 100mA rcd?

Attachments

• rate my fuse box (or consumer unit to be politically correct!) IMAG1471 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMAG1471.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 108
  • rate my fuse box (or consumer unit to be politically correct!) IMAG1388 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMAG1388.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 97
The original fuseboards were in the cupboard beside the meter as in the picture. The cables ran behind the bit above which was already boxed in with plywood. All I did was move the new consumer unit up and replaced the plywood. I upgraded the tails to 25mm and took them up to the new position. Do you think I should have an upfront 100mA rcd?

Do you think you should have one ?

Not for additional protection, but i am sure you already knew that.

No point fitting a 100mA RCD - it wouldn't comply, as it needs to be 30mA for shock protection.

I like your approach, looks neat, but as I said, you could come unstuck if you put it up for assessment.

Personally, I would consider it to be no different to running the tails in trunking, but that's just my opinion. Yours is wider, and made of plywood, but it's doing the same job. ;)

I would have said no, as the dno fuse is there to protect the tails and the length of tails is under 3m. As for the wood, what other material could I have used?

Reply to rate my fuse box (or consumer unit to be politically correct!) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock