Discuss rate my fuse box (or consumer unit to be politically correct!) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Could always give it a coat of this. (see picture)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-13-14-48-28.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 117
No point fitting a 100mA RCD - it wouldn't comply, as it needs to be 30mA for shock protection.

I like your approach, looks neat, but as I said, you could come unstuck if you put it up for assessment.

Personally, I would consider it to be no different to running the tails in trunking, but that's just my opinion. Yours is wider, and made of plywood, but it's doing the same job. ;)
What if the meter tails are more than 50mm from the surface? I did a job once, where I ran the meter tails surface in maxi trunking, in the corner of a wall below the CU. Went back a few months later and the customer had boxed in the trunking!

I'm not a fan of that warning label taped above the CU; technically it's a safe zone anyway, you could have made the sign more discreet and fixed it better.
What does that switch do? I'd have probably labelled that instead.

The sign is only temporary. Have to go back to do other bits and pieces. The switch is for a light in the garage. It was there originally.

Because Dave Joe public is not that smart! :rolleyes:

Idiotic signs aren't going to help with that. If they can't manage to work out that a wooden boxing with cables entering it and a fuseboard mounted to it contains live cables then quite honestly they deserve anything they get.

Looks neat enough but as you're asking for opinions/options, I would have built an extension on top of the existing cupboard using stud and plasterboard and then clipped all cable to the block wall - this would have made them all more than adequately protected depth wise and then mounted recessed consumer unit in the stud wall extension. Just another option obviously but as said this looks fine anyway.

One thing I would suggest is that the ply above the CU is cut and screwed so that it can be removed as an access trap,obviously that would mean locating the switch elsewhere. It makes it a doddle to get additional circuits into the CU in future...as you have installed it'll be a pig. Otherwise nice tidy job!......(what does the small green earth in with the main earth/bonding go to?)

Remove the cable ties from that bundle of neutrals and in future use something other than a machete to remove the sheath from the tails. Actually not bad at all.

Slightly tongue in cheek, as it's a decent job. OTOH if you present tidy work and ask for critique, it will be judged to very high standards. I'm not looking for gross errors and don't expect there are any, I'm looking for finesse. I'd have used a Rotax stripper and the sheath would be very neat indeed.

Slightly tongue in cheek, as it's a decent job. OTOH if you present tidy work and ask for critique, it will be judged to very high standards. I'm not looking for gross errors and don't expect there are any, I'm looking for finesse. I'd have used a Rotax stripper and the sheath would be very neat indeed.

Yep,i would concur...i have an old Thomas Betts sheath scoring device,which works both peripherally and longitudinally (not bad for a Sunday night...)

I am always surprised when sparks with plenty of years under their belt,say "Ooo,that's a handy tool..."

Reply to rate my fuse box (or consumer unit to be politically correct!) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net