Discuss RCD Keeps tripping and not mcb and not on the same side as MCB in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Peter

-
Reaction score
Hello hoping someone can urgently help with an issue I am having.

I am carrying out electrical works on a 2 bedroom flat that is being refurbished. All I have done is changed single sockets to double sockets. Taken away a socket that was spured off another socket. Moved some lights into the middle of the ceiling and moved 2 light switches.

I am also not sure if the fault was already there or not but everytime I plugged in something that draws a fair amount of power I.e heater or grinder it would trip the rcd. I thought it may be an rcd fault so I moved the mcb to the other rcd and changed the rcd I thought was faulty. Now what is happening is when you plug something in that draws power it stays on but still trips the same rcd that I changed even though the mcb is not on that rcd side ?

What could this be ?

Likely to be a neutral-earth fault on a circuit on the side with the RCD that trips. Check the IR on all these circuits - it might have been pre-existing. The heavier the load, the more likely the trip, and it will happen regardless of which circuit the load is on.

But...

a) The problem was there before he changed anything in the board.
b) The circuit he moved now works, and doesn't trip its own RCD.
c) It trips mainly with heavy loads.

All three factors point at an N-E fault on any of the circuits on the RCD that trips, not necessarily the one that is loaded or the one he moved.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person who actually reads the fault description before replying!

Hi - yep I'm going for the N-E fault too - and I raise that it's in one of the 1G to 2G outlet conversions you've just done (trapped N or some such) :) .

I am carrying out electrical works on a 2 bedroom flat that is being refurbished. All I have done is changed single sockets to double sockets. Taken away a socket that was spured off another socket. Moved some lights into the middle of the ceiling and moved 2 light switches.

I am also not sure if the fault was already there or not but everytime I plugged in something that draws a fair amount of power I.e heater or grinder it would trip the rcd. I thought it may be an rcd fault so I moved the mcb to the other rcd and changed the rcd I thought was faulty. Now what is happening is when you plug something in that draws power it stays on but still trips the same rcd that I changed even though the mcb is not on that rcd side ?

What could this be ?
Did you move the neutral to the other neutral terminal block?
as this would be the reason that the other RCD could be tripping out
I think that the reason the RCD tripped out in the first place would probably due to a neutral to earth fault, if this is so you want to move circuit back (together with neutral) I can't see your profile so I hope that this is a DIY job and not a paid job if so there has been no mention of testing.

What could this be ?
Hello mate. Any idea as to the construction of this 2 bed flat? Would you know if the ceiling is suspended and fixed to tin hat?

Reply to RCD Keeps tripping and not mcb and not on the same side as MCB in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net