Discuss RCD Question.. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mikeymoo

Can anyone explain why on a split board (RCD+NON RCD) That the RCD neutral has its own neutral bar? When in fact if you were to follow the neutral cable, they all go back to the same source anyway??:confused:

I know the theory behind the inbalance of current between the Line and neutral causing the rcd to trip. But why does it need a seperate neutral bar? isnt the inbalance just going to be in the faulty Line and neutral of the individual ciruit? and not the neutral as a all.. So why would it matter what side its on. Although i know its does need to been on the rcd side. Just cant get my head around as to why:confused:

The neutrals are the same on the supply side of the RCD/ main switch but on the outgoing side they are separate. This prevents the RCD from tripping from other circuits not protected by it.

Got it now lol! when i looked at a diagram and followed the current path it become clear. Was trying to work it out in my head while having one to many beers!

The socket circuit in the split load board is fed through the main switch through the RCd then mcb then load and returned via the neutral bar to the RCd then through the RCd, back to the supply neutral
Balance has been maintained

Without the seperate neutral bar, this is a facility for connecting all the outgoing circuits from the RCD side, every one of those cables would need connecting into the RCD terminal
Again without the neutral bar and just connecting to the main neutral bar, the neutral of the sockets load has by passed the RCD and it will imbalance

Well done
I posted without seeing yours

Reply to RCD Question.. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock