Discuss RCD's -replacing with different manufacurers in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

salisbury spark

Got to fit an RCD to a NEWLEC CCU. - Want to fit a CTI one as its cheap. Are RCD's generally the same packaging especially the connection to the bus bar. -I used to swap about with Mcb suppliers and had the odd fitting problem but usually I fit a complete CCU rather than upgrade them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldnt risk the aggro to be honest.

Especially if its cheap and cheerful. You could have no end of probs with callbacks.

It may well fit onto the busbar but the cover may not go back on very easily.

Your call.

Most RCDs wont be interchangeable as they are made especially to fit our Newlec boards. There maybe one of two. I have a feeling Wylex may fit but it would still be cheaper to get a Newlec one.
(Im not just being biased as i work at Newey and Eyre myself)

CTI RCD fitted perfect - cost me £12.40 made even more from customer... -Disconnection times better than most RCDS if tested.... Gonna try a CTI CCU from toolstation for @£55 (17th edition)- make even more from customer (or send it back if its crap... Worth the risk to me).

Fitting a different manufacturers component into a distribution board/cu is in contravention of the 17th edition. You must comply with the manufacturers instructions and all db/cu manufacturers state that only the correct components should be installed in their products!

Fitting a different manufacturers component into a distribution board/cu is in contravention of the 17th edition. You must comply with the manufacturers instructions and all db/cu manufacturers state that only the correct components should be installed in their products!

But surely the term 'correct components' would be covered by BS numbers & characeristics, not manafacturers? Most MCB's nowadays are designed to fit most other makes of DB's.

If you fit another manufacturers mcbs into a distribution board or consumer unit it will negate any warranty on the product. If the product is out of warranty then should anything unfortunate occur both products manufacturers will state that the compnents were not designed to be used with each other and liability will rest firmly on your shoulders. The fact that mcbs are manufactured to the same specification does not come into it, all cars for the UK market are designed to the same regulations but would you put parts interchange parts of their engine and if you do make modifications you have to notify your insurance company and normally the premiums go up.
At the end of the day it's up to you, but I know what I do. Yes there are times when products have been used when the other manufacturer is either not available or no longer made however what I will say is that I spent some years working for circuit breaker manufacturers and not only am I aware of what the manufacturers response to interchange will be but also have a good knowledge of which lesser manufacturers use which tooling etc. formally used by the major manufacturers for now obsolete ranges and also where some products come off the same line in China with different branding.
All I will say is be careful what you do.

Reply to RCD's -replacing with different manufacurers in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock