Discuss Recall: Proteus Switchgear - 100 Amp Double Pole Isolator - which might not isolate. in the The Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net

Disconnect once check twice..(or more)
Found HERE at Trading Standards
2021-12-17_1021.png

Risk level
Serious

Risk type
Electric shock

Risk description
The fault was identified during routine installation process which includes a test. It was found that the switch did not isolate the circuit. The product does not meet the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 2016.

Corrective measures
Withdrawal from sale and recall of affected batches by the manufacturer. Recall of the product by the end user, E.ON. E.ON have written to all affected customers to arrange a visit to carry out a safety check of the isolator. E.ON customers who have received a letter to arrange a free visit and have not replied should contact E.ON as soon as possible.

Yes I wondered why only e.on were mentioned. Unless it was a faulty batch that only e.on had or maybe it was that e.on had instigated the recall.

Batch Numbers BT200420 and BT250320
But of course you have to dismantle the whole thing to see that.
This is quite a worry as these are everywhere.
As said above some clarity on whether it was just EON batches would be reassuring.

You think everyone with a CEF account would get a recall notice, not just EON customers.

Seeing as Proteus are a CEF brand.

You sure itā€™s not EON meter installers putting these in that are the problem.šŸ˜
Yonks ago I had PROTEOUS visit me to design some switchgear for use overseasmcan't describe how disappointed I was with the outcome, cost me a fortune in replacement, informed not to use them again, to witch I agreed never got my cost back either.

Proteus really is cheap crap and living up to it
And youā€™re basing that on one recall, from one batch, of one product?

Ok. Two batchesā€¦. You pedantic bunch.

These things pass their relative BS numbersā€¦. They do the job they are designed for.

So does that mean the standards need to be raised if theyā€™re not good enough?

These things pass their relative BS numbersā€¦. They do the job they are designed for.

But the recall is because their devices haven't met the required standards in these cases.

And theyā€™ve recalled them. As they should.
Itā€™s good to know they have some quality control and act on what they find.

Very true that. Much worse are the companies that know there is a problem with their product but try to avoid a recall.

They've been recalled because they don't meet the relative standards

And theyā€™ve recalled them. As they should.
Itā€™s good to know they have some quality control and act on what they find.

This may have been identified by the manufacturer, but it's much more likely that Eon noticed a significant rate of failure and contacted the manufacturer. When this type of issue becomes apparent, there is a legal obligation on the manufacturer's part (or importer) to investigate and recall as appropriate. It's not about QC, but about the sort of huge fine that would cripple the manufacturer or importer if they failed to act in accordance with their legal obligations.

Effective QC is what prevents the sort of issue in the first instance. For most companies, that would mean thorough batch testing as such products aren't generally made in the UK. As for manufacturing standards, pretty much everything sold in the UK will meet a particular standard, but some manufacturers like to offer a better product, generally by employing more considerate design and better materials.

Edit: that last sentence is terrible and I don't care šŸ˜‚

it's much more likely that Eon noticed a significant rate of failure and contacted the manufacturer.
I was thinking that too. The circumstances leading to this would be interesting to know.
I'm assuming the issue was detected when fitting new ones as existing ones rarely get tested and Eon wouldn't have occasion to use them much.
I have one in my house and view it with a new suspicion after this report!

I was thinking that too. The circumstances leading to this would be interesting to know.
I'm assuming the issue was detected when fitting new ones as existing ones rarely get tested and Eon wouldn't have occasion to use them much.
I have one in my house and view it with a new suspicion after this report!

Pretty certain there's one beside our meter. This thread reminded me about it, but haven't yet mustered enough enthusiasm to check.

Reply to Recall: Proteus Switchgear - 100 Amp Double Pole Isolator - which might not isolate. in the The Exchange area at ElectriciansForums.net