Discuss recomended books/learning material for elecrician courses in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gt67

So I have decided that I am definatley going for it and will be applying for a course when the paper work arrives.

This will probably start in September time but I want to get a head start so do you have any recomended learning materials:

* books - theory with practical applications etc
* websites - pdf downloads/tutorials/manufacturers technical data sheets
* anything else that I would find useful in preparation

The other reason for starting early is to get as much knowledge as possible so when I do get some job shadowing experience with a local sparky I will know what they are talking about thus giving us both more confidence.

Thanks in advance,

Graham

I am just about to place an order for the following books:

1. Practical Guide to Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations: Conforms to IEE Wiring Regulations / BS 7671 / Part P of Building ... 7671/Part P of Building Regulations (Paperback) ISBN-10: 0750684496

2. IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition : (BS 7671: 2008) (Paperback) ISBN-10: 0863418449

3. IEE On-site Guide; BS 7671 : 2008 IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition (Spiral-bound) ISBN-10: 0863418546

Before I push the button are there any last minute recommendations for decent books that cover the basics like ring main ccts, all types of lighting ccts etc or do the above books cover these topics?

One quick question: what is the easiest way to identify the switch cable at a ceiling rose if there are say 4 cables feeding it and the marker tape/or whatever method was used is no longer visible? Is it by turning off the supply to it, disconnecting all the cables and then using a meter to test each one for continuity by turning on/off the switch and what if the light is controlled by 2 switches? Is something like this covered in the Practical Guide to Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations book mentioned above?

Thanks for any suggestions or help

Reply to recomended books/learning material for elecrician courses in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net