Discuss Replace Oven Halogen bulb. in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net

You can use the G4 Bulb. The only difference with the G9 is the shape of the metal prongs which you can bend if needed.

You can find the same spec bulb 12v 5W for much cheaper
I didn’t want to put a disagree red mark against your first post, but it is important to read the details thoroughly before offering advice

and if he's shoving 120V up a 12V bulb??? bumps a daisy.
I’m being questioned on my advice here. Fair enough.

I have a Kitchenaid Wall Oven using the identical bulb. In the manual for the oven, it states “The oven lights are 12-volt, 5-watt maximum halogen bulbs.” I see a few posts here saying to get a 120v bulb and although misleading based on what’s written on the bulb, I trust the manual.

C80307FD-C360-4AF6-ACC6-B0D3737410C0.jpeg

I have a Kitchenaid Wall Oven using the identical bulb. In the manual for the oven, it states “The oven lights are 12-volt, 5-watt maximum halogen bulbs.” I see a few posts here saying to get a 120v bulb and although misleading based on what’s written on the bulb, I trust the manual.

Interesting mate. Personally I'd go with what the manufacturer has put on the bulb rather than the manual.

Any change of taking a pic of the manual where it states the bulb requirements and posting it up on here.

Hi Wassam
Is the bulb you're holding in your hand (post #23 ) out of your Kitchenaid wall oven? The filament appears to have failed, so is that one you've replaced? It appears marked G9 120V 25W. Have you replaced it, and if so what with?

Thanks for the manual page.
There are also Kitchenaid manuals online for their range of 24" and 27"wall ovens which all seem to contain the same section on oven bulbs. But those on-line versions all say that bulbs are 120V maximum 40W.

8F964FBA-C7F0-4D98-A249-E21439E82EC1.jpeg

I am bemused by this saga. When the OP first posted I tried to find a Sylvania capsylite 12V 2.5W bulb, but they don't seem to exist! then I tried 12V 4W or 5W, but they are all G4 base, not G9!

The Sylvania G9 capsylite range does not appear to include any 12V bulbs, they only seem to be made with 120V (or 240V) rating.

Capsule bulbs made to operate on 12V up to 5W have G4 bases (two straight pins), and their low voltage filament is a short stubby coil, not like the capsylite filament In all the pictures In this tread.

So I am really puzzled because none of the pictures in this thread stack up with the Kitchenaid manual's that Utreas and Wassam have, saying to replace with a 12V 5W bulb. I don't believe you can even buy a 12V 5W bulb with a G9 base to fit the oven.

I'm really hoping to hear from someone who has replaced an oven bulb in a Kitchenaid appliance, as to what they have used!

It’s bizarre I know. Another KitchenAid wall-oven Manual I read had the same instructions for replacing the bulb with 5W 12v G9. The instructions I included in my last post was specifically for my wall-oven.

The picture I posted is the original burned out bulb I am replacing. I ordered the G4 12v 5W bulb and it should arrive soon for me to try. Worst case the bulb bursts because it received more voltage and wattage that it can handle.

It’s bizarre I know. Another KitchenAid wall-oven Manual I read had the same instructions for replacing the bulb with 5W 12v G9. The instructions I included in my last post was specifically for my wall-oven.

The picture I posted is the original burned out bulb I am replacing. I ordered the G4 12v 5W bulb and it should arrive soon for me to try. Worst case the bulb bursts because it received more voltage and wattage that it can handle.
I'd love to know:
a) what bulb they send (ie does it look the same construction as the one you have?)
EDIT: just used your link - as it stands I don't think that will connect with your G9 base. You suggested bending the pins, but that might break the glass to metal seal. Also to me it's not in any way the same bulb as your faulty one!
b) what happens!
If you get a chance, do post the outcome 🤔
Regards.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm leaning now towards just using what's written on the bulb as the spec. Getting a G9 120v 25W bulb.
Bulbs options: Example 1, Example 2
They look good. I would go for one that specifically mentions suitable for an oven (like Example 2), as it has to work in a slightly higher temperature environment than in a normal light. Otherwise their life could be shortened.
Hope it works out 😀

They look good. I would go for one that specifically mentions suitable for an oven (like Example 2), as it has to work in a slightly higher temperature environment than in a normal light. Otherwise their life could be shortened.
Hope it works out 😀
Hi all, to close the loop on this thread, I bought this 120v 25W bulb and it worked fine with my Kitchenaid wall oven. I guess the moral of the story is, don't believe everything you read in the operating manual!

Reply to Replace Oven Halogen bulb. in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net