Discuss Ring Circuit to a connector box and radiaal onward in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mikeohms

I recently came across a ring circiut which was run to a connector box unfused and various sockets i.e living room radial, bedroom 1 radial and bedroom 2 radial sockets all connected to the ring from the connector box no fuse. is his corrrect and pls state regulation number where i can refer
Thanks

there was no ring socket between the CU and this Connection Box only the two leg came in and all the other radial sockets was connected at this point

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Jason said, no problem as long as there is a 20A MCB up front. Probably wired by someone who has never heard of a ring circuit.

Ring and radial final circuit layouts can be found in appendix 15 pages 362 & 363 of BS 7671.
Ring final circuit arrangements: Regulation 433.1.5
Radial final circuit arrangements: Regulation 433.1

This doesn't sound right to me, you can't run radials of a ring circuit............. You can spur one (1 ) socket of another socket in a ring or you can run a fuse spur from a socket in the ring and then put as many sockets as you like but as long as the demand is less then the rating or the fuse in the spur ( normally 13amps )............................

sorry but finding some of the advise on this topic way off the mark so either the post was misunderstood or answers shouldnt be given

(apart from replies which are correct bybyninjadeathstalk & rob1967)

Thanks for all your replys and as Ezzekiel has noted if you are not sure pls don't mislead. I can understand everyone is trying to help.
We have had to install a fuse spur at this junction and then connect all the various radial to it
Thanks once more for your help
Mikeohms

there was no ring socket between the CU and this Connection Box only the two leg came in and all the other radial sockets was connected at this point

Why dont you disconnect one leg and leave it out and then put the other in a 20A MCB and leave it as a radial.

A 13A spur isnt going to last long considering the amount of rooms connected to it.

On a side note, there are plenty of posts here that have pointed out reg nos etc but have failed to provide a practical answer of any kind. You did not say if you were working on this circuit or not, so many (rightly or wrongly) assumed you had come across this whilst either carrying out tests or doing other works, and required an answer as a 'quick fix', which many do as some clients are not prepared to pay for extras. So please dont assume people are misleading you as you came on this (free) forum for advice and opinions, which you got.

This doesn't sound right to me, you can't run radials of a ring circuit............. You can spur one (1 ) socket of another socket in a ring or you can run a fuse spur from a socket in the ring and then put as many sockets as you like but as long as the demand is less then the rating or the fuse in the spur ( normally 13amps )............................

hi there

i agree with you about the fused spur and was on the 2391-20 course when this came up and the answer we got was so logical:p

What have you actually got if you install like this :confused:

Answer a 1.5mm extension lead :D:D:D:D

is it not right though whats the Bl***dy difference:eek:

it is just so much more tidy lol:p:p

cheers

So basically someone has spurred off a ring to feed like 3 other rooms? Eithe disconnect it from the ring and bring a new leg from said radial back to the board to a 20A mcb, or disconnect one of the ring legs and pull in a new leg in from the end of the radial and connect it to the end you've just disconnected, to put said radial on the ring. This is obviously only in an ideal world, running said cables could be difficult etc, but this is the correct way to go about it

Reply to Ring Circuit to a connector box and radiaal onward in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock