Discuss rj11+ BT Extension from BT master socket in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

newtothis

Hi, I need to move my router, and I'm stuck. :book:
At present it is connected diresctly to the rj11 socket in Bt master socket (Type 5: SSFP Infinity)

Bought a combined rj11 + bt socket from TLC and I'm using Cat5e
rj11+ BT Extension from BT master socket dualrj11bt - EletriciansForums.net
It’s only got 4 pins labelled 2,3,4,5 - I have connected 2&5 and the ring wire to 3 same at master socket,
Unsurprisingly only the voice works. See pic above.

I have 2 pins at the master socket for extending the adsl - question is where to they go on the extension socket I bought ?
I would ideally like to use what I have, should I just go and get a dual modular plate with a bt & rj 45 module (for the rj 11)

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

You need to take the unfiltered line (A and B normally) from the BT socket to pins 2 and 5 on the extension.
The plate you have will then filter the signal for your connection to phone / router.

Not quite sure from the parts mentioned and picture what you are doing

I assume you have the BT NTE5 and the BT vDSL faceplate fitted at the master position if so you can take vDSL extensions from this faceplate using something like this for the vDSL modem

If you are adding voice extensions do not connect terminal 3 only connect 2 & 5 connecting terminal 3 can / may cause interference that will affect your broadband signal quality and speed

thanks for the replies :stooge_curly:

Not quite sure from the parts mentioned and picture what you are doing

I assume you have the BT NTE5 and the BT vDSL faceplate fitted at the master position if so you can take vDSL extensions from this faceplate using something like this for the vDSL modem

You’re right in your assumptions about the master socket.

The problem is I have a dual rj11 + phone socket there doesn’t seem to be a way to connect it so the vdsl socket . The kit you linked to is for extending the vdsl only.

I drew this quickly on paint.
rj11+ BT Extension from BT master socket phone - EletriciansForums.net
The left shows what your suggesting and the right shows what I have minus the ringer (which I have removed.

I’d like to use 1 cat5e cable in any case., and I can’t figure why they’d sell a dual rj11 + phone socket if it can only connect the phone not the vdsl ?? HA ha I must be doing something wrong.

You need to take the unfiltered line (A and B normally) from the BT socket to pins 2 and 5 on the extension.
The plate you have will then filter the signal for your connection to phone / router.
I did that but the DSL part of the socket doesn't work. :thinking: phone works fine though.

I did that but the DSL part of the socket doesn't work. :thinking: phone works fine though.
You said that you had taken 2 and 5 from the BT socket to 2 and 5 of the extension?? as shown in your picture
If you have done that then only the voice will work as this is a filtered point for phone only.

From your paint diagram you need to run from 1 and 2 (this is a different 2 to the 2 and 5, 2) on the BT socket to 2 and 5 on the extension socket.

Looking like I should not have replied!!!

The BT output i have identified as 1 and 2 is not filtered, i.e. it is sending both ADSL data and voice.
In order to be able to use this line then the signal needs to be split up in separate ADSL lines and voice lines.
to do this a twin filter is used, one filter blocks the ADSL and so this line is used for the phone, the other filter blocks voice and so this line is used for data.

You want to use both signals at a remote location, so what you do is send (from 1 and 2) both signals from the BT plate, unfiltered, over to the new faceplate.
The faceplate you have has the filters built into it. when a line is connected to the faceplate (to 2 and 5) the faceplate filters the incoming signal and distributes the correct information to the front outlets.

Therefore you will now be able to use both ADSL and voice from the new faceplate.

thanks for the replies :stooge_curly:

You’re right in your assumptions about the master socket.

The problem is I have a dual rj11 + phone socket there doesn’t seem to be a way to connect it so the vdsl socket . The kit you linked to is for extending the vdsl only.

I drew this quickly on paint.
View attachment 30081
The left shows what your suggesting and the right shows what I have minus the ringer (which I have removed.

I’d like to use 1 cat5e cable in any case., and I can’t figure why they’d sell a dual rj11 + phone socket if it can only connect the phone not the vdsl ?? HA ha I must be doing something wrong.

I think the best way to do what you want would be one of these alternatively if you get an RJ45 module and a BT secondary module and a suitable mounting frame then you are sorted as your diagram 1 & 2 to the RJ45 4 & 5 and 2 & 5 to 2 & 5 on the secondary module

An RJ45 socket will allow the use of the RJ11 lead supplied with your infinity modem

Leave the centralised filter (the Pressac thing in your picture) at the master socket.

Fit an RJ45 network socket next to your ADLS filter, connect an RJ-11 patch lead from the ADSL filter to the RJ45.

From the RJ45 network socket, run CAT5 (or better) to your remote "dual faceplate" (RJ45+phone) and connect it to the RJ45. Plug your modem into that.

Connect 2, (3) &5 from the ADSL filter to 2, (3) & 5 on the "dual faceplate" phone connector.

That way your not extending the A/B line from BT (1&2), which they don't like you doing and is against their T&C's.

All your extension wiring should be connected to the removable filter. The only connection available for the ADSL is via the front socket.

Last edited:
Leave the centralised filter (the Pressac thing in your picture) at the master socket.

Fit an RJ45 network socket next to your ADLS filter, connect an RJ-11 patch lead from the ADSL filter to the RJ45.

From the RJ45 network socket, run CAT5 (or better) to your remote "dual faceplate" (RJ45+phone) and connect it to the RJ45. Plug your modem into that.

Connect 2, (3) &5 from the ADSL filter to 2, (3) & 5 on the "dual faceplate" phone connector.

That way your not extending the A/B line from BT (1&2), which they don't like you doing and is against their T&C's.

All your extension wiring should be connected to the removable filter. The only connection available for the ADSL is via the front socket.

I suggest you read the OP and all the replies the pressac thing is the socket he was trying to use as an extension he has an NTE5 as his master connection

FYI the ADSL removable filters are useless on vDSL (infinity) connections which is why BT install this type of filter if you scroll down the link it shows the vDSL extension terminals and other phones can be wired from the small faceplate as normal

Looking like I should not have replied!!!
Glad you did, that’s worked a charm mate. :crowngrin:
Did a speed test I’m getting 68.Mbps
I phoned in and out of the line while surfing - no probs.
rj11+ BT Extension from BT master socket new - EletriciansForums.net
I went out and got a load of faceplates and modules for the points I wired yesterday.
so if it hadn't of worked I'd have that other solution. :) Thanks for all the replies lads.

Reply to rj11+ BT Extension from BT master socket in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock