Discuss Running electrical cable in plastic D-Line trunking in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

finlamit

DIY
Reaction score
Hi.

I am planing on building a (not sure what to call it) U shaped storage solution which goes either side and above the headboard of a bed. I want to install a couple of reading lights either side.

A mixture of me not being bothered and running out of money means I cant run cable on the lighting circuit. I do have a wall mounted patress box/socket at the bottom though.. so heres my thoughts...

Spur off this socket to a 5amp FCU, then onto the lights/switches etc. My problem is where to put the cable, as mentioned above, money/time is tight so chasing into the wall is not an option. I was wondering would building regs allow me to conceal the cable within plastic trunking attached to the unit? The cable/trunking would go: up from the socket into the FCU, then left behind right side of unit, up to switch, then to light, the up to top and along to other side, then down to other light.

What do you think? Regs issue?

This is the trunking i would use

https://www.screwflix..com/p/d-line...TYYo-JucrST3fu-YVkhoC7mEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks

M

can't see a problem. just may be that the lights you pick are rear cable entry, not surface.

If this circuit was wired in flex, and fed from a plug simply plugged into a socket, the regs wouldn’t apply and you can do whatever you please (safely, of course)

if it’s “fixed wiring” then there’s all sorts of problems to worry about (rcd coverage, type of fixings etc)

If this circuit was wired in flex, and fed from a plug simply plugged into a socket, the regs wouldn’t apply and you can do whatever you please (safely, of course)

if it’s “fixed wiring” then there’s all sorts of problems to worry about (rcd coverage, type of fixings etc)
Oh ok.

So in this case, if I was to spur to another socket (So that I still have my 2 plug points available), buy lights, wire them to a 3amp plug with a switch in-between that would bypass the regs?

Seems daft that the act of turning it into a fixed solution (using a 3amp FCU instead of a plug) would subject them to a load of regulations! ?‍♂️

Oh ok.

So in this case, if I was to spur to another socket (So that I still have my 2 plug points available), buy lights, wire them to a 3amp plug with a switch in-between that would bypass the regs?

Seems daft that the act of turning it into a fixed solution (using a 3amp FCU instead of a plug) would subject them to a load of regulations! ?‍♂️
But then spurring to another socket would have to be within the regs……?

yes, it’s all a bit of a minefield as to what is deemed fixed wiring and what isn’t.

there was a much discussed thread a while back when a house had a conservatory and all points within that room, lighting and power was off a plug.
fixed wiring or portable? …..and more importantly….. tested or not?

If you feel you are competent, then go ahead. But I would advise making sure the sockets have rcd protection.

Thanks. Wasn't sure if there would be any problems, as its a fixed solution attached to wood, and not necessary following the safe zones etc.
safe zones only apply for cable/s buried in walls. surface wiring is visible, so can be anywhere.

Reply to Running electrical cable in plastic D-Line trunking in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock