Discuss Running in circles Non code holes existing switch location in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Please see attached photos.

I'm adding 5 circuits to my basement. I've been having to go the long way around in some cases to avoid duct and future finishes. There have been several instances where existing holes would have simplified/shortened the runs (see image 4) but they don't appear up to code i.e. holes drilled through a top plate and exiting at an angle through the bottom edge of a joist (see images), and lots of holes drilled within an inch of the board edge. My current issue is with my lighting circuit. I need to get power into the location in image 1 for my switches. If you look at image 2 you can see the top plate was drilled on center and at an angle out the edge of the joist. I assume that's not ok according to google. The wall coming down the steps in image 1 has a set of three-ways which are being removed and their wiring can be seen inside the closet in image 5 and outside in image 1. I see no simple way to get into the studs and run the switches. My latest thought was drilling just above/through the 2x4 notched stud in image 2 into the closet which gets me into the backside of the framing (see image 6).. I would then come down stapled along the 2x4 under the stair stringer and enter the backside of the switches back in image 1. My other thought was going straight down out of my homerun in the bedroom image 4 and into the wall which puts me under the lower stairs in the foyer and back into the closet again and up the wall and into the switches. I don't like the idea of running low on the underside of the stairs (see image 7) but my wallet would probably benefit. The loop to get the bedroom homerun without reusing the existing hole in image 4 which again I'm fairly certain isn't up to code.. is about 25 feet. In any case... I would love some ideas, thoughts, previous experiences.

I attached a couple of supplementary photos and a quick sketch in cad of the switch location.

Current setup is
5 circuits
3 20amp 12/2 22 receptacles
2 15amp for 24 12 watt canless led lights in 4 rooms.

Attachments

• basement_layout_switch_location.pdf
    90.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 1.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 2.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 4.jpg
    486.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 5.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 6.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 7.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 7
  • supplementary A.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 7
  • supplementary B.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 7

Reply to Running in circles Non code holes existing switch location in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net