Discuss Self employment & Pimlico Plumbers court case ... in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

That’ll learn ‘em.
If they’d been reasonable and let him work just 3 days a week after his heart attack, the case wouldn’t have happened.

the bloke who founded pimlico plumbers was on the news tonight, the guy who brought the court case was self employed for NI, tax and all HMRC purposes. But when he had a heart attack wanted paid sick leave and they said nope... you are self employed. so he took them to court... It seems he was happy being self employed for tax purposes to keep his money but when it suits wanted his cake and to eat it....
The owner is now writing to HMRC asking them to revisit the blokes tax affairs in light of the decision saying if he was an employee then back date his taxes accordingly! he cant have it both ways..... [personally I would take it on the chin and pay out, the amount they charge to hire out plumbers and sparks its water off a ducks back for them.

the bloke who founded pimlico plumbers was on the news tonight, the guy who brought the court case was self employed for NI, tax and all HMRC purposes. But when he had a heart attack wanted paid sick leave and they said nope... you are self employed. so he took them to court... It seems he was happy being self employed for tax purposes to keep his money but when it suits wanted his cake and to eat it....
The owner is now writing to HMRC asking them to revisit the blokes tax affairs in light of the decision saying if he was an employee then back date his taxes accordingly! he cant have it both ways..... [personally I would take it on the chin and pay out, the amount they charge to hire out plumbers and sparks its water off a ducks back for them.
They will also be liable for Employer's NI! No sympathy for Pimlico or that disease of a man Charlie Mullins.

An interesting argument. The branded product the forcing of hours and trackers would lead most people to believe he is indeed employed by a company, but then not paying PAYE, full national insurance rate as an employee would etc would point to being self employed. Not sure I really like either of them as both seem to want there cake and eat it.

If the supreme court are saying he was indeed "employed" and should be entitled the protection (haha) that can offer then surely the both parties are guilty of tax fraud ?

An interesting argument. The branded product the forcing of hours and trackers would lead most people to believe he is indeed employed by a company, but then not paying PAYE, full national insurance rate as an employee would etc would point to being self employed. Not sure I really like either of them as both seem to want there cake and eat it.

If the supreme court are saying he was indeed "employed" and should be entitled the protection (haha) that can offer then surely the both parties are guilty of tax fraud ?
There is no evidence that he was complicit in the bogus self-employment. I suspect Pimlico force all of their employees to illegally pretend that they are self-employed.

This is a tricky one,which i could very easily stand and defend either party...

I was in a similar position,albeit many years back,where the tax office of a company i was doing 100% of my contracting for,disputed their payments to me,and my status as SE.

The rules then,included ownership of tools,insurance,advertising,alternative work,etc,and it got complicated. Basically,i took a chance (accountant rated at 80/20 :rolleyes: ) fronted them out,and continued as i was for another 4 years...

Good ole' HMRC cannot allow set-ups to evolve around the part time or gig economy,and not expect such carry-ons to appear. A ruling on this particular case,will have far reaching consequences.

The truth is, that there is not just one party,in this example,swinging the lead...google the details of the many reasons why,for some considerable period,it suited both parties :)

As far as the claim that this started over a claim for sick pay goes, I would take it with a pinch of salt.
Statutory sick pay is no more than what would be paid in Employment Support Allowance. In fact if you were to also claim Housing Benefit, receiving SSP is worse for you than receiving ESA.
Although SSP and ESA Pay the same amount, HB rules are such that any of the SSP which is above what would be paid as Job Seekers Allowance is taken into consideration when calculating HB. Whereas with ESA none is taken into consideration.
Again I would also take the claim about asking HMRC to look into the worker’s tax affairs with a pinch of salt.
It is more likely that the company has been told HMRC will review the matter and the company is attempting to pre-empt any bad publicity. HMRC will chase the employer for any unpaid NI or tax owing, not the worker.
I’ve been subcontracting through agencies now for about 12 years. The companies I have worked for don’t want to employ direct.
The few Government jobs around where workers have to be PAYE, it’s the agency which employs the workers.
That both parties benefit from the bogus Self Employment is unlikely.
Both Self Employed and PAYE can claim for the same or similar expenses, subsistence, travel, tools, laundry, phone, internet, etc.
The expenses can be either claimed from the Employer or at the end of year through Self Assessment.
Claiming from the Employer would be more beneficial as the expenses would be paid before tax and NI is calculated. Whereas claiming at the end of year will result in a tax rebate, in my experience overpaid NI is not refunded.
I haven’t even touched Holiday Pay, Bank Holidays, travel time, overtime rates, JIB benefits or training.

In a large company I used to be very familiar with, contractors could work (directly or via agencies) for up to 2 years. Then they had to move on for a while :rolleyes: .

The cowboy spark firms (95% of them) will insist the PAYE 'employees' provide everything themselves. All tools etc. Just like it's very common to see a forklift driver bringing his own forklift to work every morning and that Secretary always brings here desktop p.c to work on the train. The Numptys will always respond with extra numptiness when you impose regulation on them. Its known as Numptys Law.

There is no evidence that he was complicit in the bogus self-employment. I suspect Pimlico force all of their employees to illegally pretend that they are self-employed.

He worked there for nearly six years, was VAT registered and used his self employed status to right off a room at his house. I believe both parties new exactly what they were up to.

He worked there for nearly six years, was VAT registered and used his self employed status to right off a room at his house. I believe both parties new exactly what they were up to.

You miss the point - he probably had no choice but to pretend that he was self-employed. Charlie Mullins probably forces his employees to break the law in this way. Of course the plumber will try to reduce his personal tax bill.

No, I have not missed the point, I simply don't believe this man was a victim or forced into anything (at no point in this report or subsequent reports does he suggest this either). He had a choice, six years is a long time to find other suitable employment or get legal advice on what he was doing while working at/for Pimlico. Why did he not do this, possibly because it suited him not to look into it too hard, of course this all changed when he got shafted. He should not of been treated the way he was after a heart attack and the shitty way Pimlico plumber go about there business is not a great advert for any tradesmen.

No, I have not missed the point, I simply don't believe this man was a victim or forced into anything (at no point in this report or subsequent reports does he suggest this either). He had a choice, six years is a long time to find other suitable employment or get legal advice on what he was doing while working at/for Pimlico. Why did he not do this, possibly because it suited him not to look into it too hard, of course this all changed when he got shafted. He should not of been treated the way he was after a heart attack and the shitty way Pimlico plumber go about there business is not a great advert for any tradesmen.
You're entitled to your opinion, but I think it's certainly a valid assumption to make that he didn't feel able to deal with it whilst he was employed by Pimlico for fear of losing his job. Once they sacked him he was then open to pursue it.

Reply to Self employment & Pimlico Plumbers court case ... in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock