Discuss should i or shouldnt i work for this customer in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

i think caution is the word...so you would dive into a 6.5k job..most people cant afford to be bumped for that...bloody tory voters your not in the real world man...[/QUOTE

Aye Cat and Kitten come to mind. Having a crafty punter and having a head up the ..................... type is one thing having the experience to know the difference is another.

i think caution is the word...so you would dive into a 6.5k job..most people cant afford to be bumped for that...bloody tory voters your not in the real world man...

You're not gonna get knocked 6.5k if you have a decent payment plan set up which is what the guys seems to have. Worst case scenario you might get knocked a little bit at the end of the job but will still be walking away with 3 or 4 grand profit that you wouldn't of had otherwise...... and if it all goes ---- up I can always get daddy to up my monthly allowance to 15k and worst case scenario I can sell the Roller and slum it in the Bentley for a few months.
Btw...what do you mean im not in the real world?

You're not gonna get knocked 6.5k if you have a decent payment plan set up which is what the guys seems to have. Worst case scenario you might get knocked a little bit at the end of the job but will still be walking away with 3 or 4 grand profit that you wouldn't of had otherwise...... and if it all goes ---- up I can always get daddy to up my monthly allowance to 15k and worst case scenario I can sell the Roller and slum it in the Bentley for a few months.
Btw...what do you mean im not in the real world?

6.5k job.. x amount mats.. x amount labour customer doesnt pay(see other posts) no wages cant pay supplier,bumped for 6.5k,your an arrogant little boy 85'

To be honest this is not just a case of being 6.5k down if the client doesn't pay as material will still have to be paid for so the total hit could be 9 - 10k after suppliers have been paid

Always a hard decision to take to work for someone or not to, personally I won't work for solicitors got stiffed twice by that profession many years ago although I know how to stiff them now thanks to another customers advice having been bitten just not interested now

You wont take a hit that big at all, for a start he has agreed to terms on a deposit so materials and 1st labour amount are already covered. By the time the 2nd interim invoice is paid you should hopefully be evens so all you could possibly lose out on is final payment, which if you worked out the figures right should be the "profit" payment as the previous 2 payments would have covered your labour time and materials.

There is a massive difference in a £6k job spread over a week and one spread over a few payment stages.

Sometimes you can be over cautious and the amout on this thread saying walk away seems strange to me. The client in this case seems to have agreed to a compromised account so all is good.

Id do high value long time period jobs all the time as opposed to tying to fill days with small low profit jobs... Which are just as likely to result in a loss as its doubtful contracts will be signed on a small 1 day job

Sometimes you can be over cautious and the amout on this thread saying walk away seems strange to me.

We can only base an opinion on the information given. There was an obvious concern expressed by the OP which MANY gave the same opinion to. It sounded shady, alarm bells were ringing, gut feeling was saying "whoo hold on here" and these feelings ORDINARILY shouldn't be ignored.... Imagine this... stood outside a bar with an attractive young lady outside a bar/club... You get to the door and the Door Supervisor says " lokk mate, you two don't want to be going in here, it's full of male chavs and a*** holes" Would you still walk in despite hearing this???

Well perhaps if you turned around and explained that your name is Bruce Lee and you've taken on more than just a few average chavs but ordinarily you'd think "**** that, lets get out of here and cheers for the heads up Mr Door Supervisor" :D

The client in this case seems to have agreed to a compromised account so all is good.

Agreed, it does seem to be in hand. BUT it sounds sneaky and I would stay on my toes. I really hope all is in hand and perhaps the OP was just concerned a little about the scale of the job. It sounds like he has everything under control but I hope there is a signed contract to back up all agreements:thumbsup

I felt that the cautionary approach stemmed from the retentional aspect that the client offered and to me there isn't anything shady about retention, however they did want way too much retaining.

Hopefully the job goes to plan.

Its also a good idea to get a written order for the works from the client in addition to a signature on a contract

Reply to should i or shouldnt i work for this customer in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net