Discuss shower and light pull cord in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mikey12

hi all wonder isomeone could clarify i have been asked if i could swap a shower and light pull cord in their bathroom (only a little job)as this is in a special location and im not replacing or adding circuit am i right in saying this is not notifiable of course will first check current install and protection ie rcd and bonding and on completion a minor works certificate please correct me if im wrong many thanks:D

many thanks for the reply just another confirmation if circuit in question is not rcd protected will it have to be made this before continuing i would say yes as this is a requirement but just verifying

Hi

As I understand it providing you are replacing like for like and making no changes whatsoever it is not notifiable doubt a minor works cert is required as nothing should have changed, but I think its a good idea to test and issue cert so that job is done properly.

Chris

many thanks for the reply just another confirmation if circuit in question is not rcd protected will it have to be made this before continuing i would say yes as this is a requirement but just verifying

As before really, repairs or like for like swaps do not need notifying or circuits upgrading to current regs.

Classed as maintenance.

Hi guys i agree, but when one of the guys spoke to nic about this, they said any works in bathroom (we was changing a blown bulb- we dont call them that do we lol) needs to be upgraded to RCD???
Other thoughts please????:confused:

That is the NIC's take on the regs.

However, it is classed as maintenance.

No further work required..

Changing the lighting pull cord may be acceptable with lack of rcd protecction[ although its debateable]
Changing the Shower unit without rcd protection would not be acceptable and would also be in contavention of the manufacturers warranty/instructions[ read the installation instructions]....additionally the work would be notifiable if the new shower was of a higher rating.

spark1

Reply to shower and light pull cord in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net