Discuss Sleeving 3 phase cable to single phase cable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It is done at each connection point, on both ends of the cable.

Suitably marked to identify the conductor.

The practice of completely sleeving exposed conductors started when they changed to the new colours.
During the changeover period, we were allowed to choose either old colours or the new colours on new installations, but all of the conductor colours in the new installation had to be of the same colour scheme.

Because it was hit and miss as to which colours the wholesalers would send, we would completely sleeve any exposed conductors which were incorrect for the colour scheme chosen.

That practice still happens now when 3 phase cable is used for single phase, though it is not a requirement of BS7671.

BS7671 only requires the conductors to be identified at the terminations, by either colour or alphanumerically.

Sleeving is something you push over wires to identify their colour and/or to insulate the wire.
Sleeving cables for identification does not necessarily provide any insulation propertees.

Sleeving cables for identification does not necessarily provide any insulation propertees.

I was waiting for a nibble :)
My comment on the insulating properties on sleeving was to open the discussion further.
Would you say that g/y sleeving is not also used to insulate the bare cpc?
If not, would you sleeve at the terminal and leave the rest uncovered? If you do sleeve all of the cpc then why? :)

My comment on the insulating properties on sleeving was to open the discussion further.
If not, would you sleeve at the terminal and leave the rest uncovered? If you do sleeve all of the cpc then why? :)
Deleted

Last edited:
,I believe Charlie, that providing supplementary insulation. the insulation must be equal to or better than the original insulation provided, Identification sleeving does not provide that amount of insulating properties, when applying sleeving to the cpc, the cpc is not a live conductor.
Appendix K OSG Provides information on colours etc of identification sleeves, and is used for many purposes ie at switches where brown and blue core are used for switch wires the blue core shall be marked brown at its termination K3,K4 and K5 K6 and Tables K6(1), 11 and 111 give examples, K7 deals with DC Installations.

9\

,I believe Charlie, that providing supplementary insulation. the insulation must be equal to or better than the original insulation provided, Identification sleeving does not provide that amount of insulating properties, when applying sleeving to the cpc, the cpc is not a live conductor.

543.3.201 requires bare protective conductors up to and including 6mm which are incorporated within a sheathed cable to be protected by insulating sleeving in accordance with BS EN 60684 where the sheath is removed at joints am determinations.

543.3.201 requires bare protective conductors up to and including 6mm which are incorporated within a sheathed cable to be protected by insulating sleeving in accordance with BS EN 60684 where the sheath is removed at joints am determinations.
Sleeving for cable for Ident is Manufactured to BS EN50525 see aslo Reg 514.4.2

The sheath hasn't been removed thought mate is was never there in the first place.

Is this the sort of debate you envisaged Charlie between basically 3 knowledgeable Electricians???????

Reply to Sleeving 3 phase cable to single phase cable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock