Discuss Small central UPS for converting circuit to emergency lighting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Martin

-
Reaction score
I am looking for a product to convert an existing lighting circuit in a communal stairwell to be emergency battery backed up. There are 6x 7W LED mains fittings, so say a max 50W load. I could just add emergency lighting fittings, but wiring and access is difficult.

It also needs to have a switched line input, so existing switches can still be used to turn lights on/off. All switch lines come back to central junction, before going to light fittings. I am struggling to find a suitable unit.

So all you are trying to do it run the lights when the power goes off?

Fit a suitably sized UPS at the DB /CU to give the maximum time required.
From lighting MCB (plus N plus E) into UPS.
Connect outgoing of UPS to L, N, E of lighting circuit.
Existing switches remain.

Probably doesn't comply with E.M lights standards.

This is going to be essentially a central battery system. The cabling would need to have some kind of fire resistance and possible separation from other circuits. These lights are also switched meaning they may not function in the event of a power failure if switched off.

The easiest thing would probably be to fit self contained maintained fittings with microwave sensors and convert the s/l to permanent live with key switch for testing.

Adding an invertor/central battery will require all cables to be fireproof, so it will probably need to be completely rewired.
[automerge]1575295412[/automerge]
Also what happens when a fire burn though the central battery back?

That's a bit of a daft question, the answer should be ridiculously obvious.

This is why there are rules about the type and location of central batteries for emergency lighting.

Thanks for the replies, but no product suggestions so far.

Cable is MI, so is fireproof.

Essentially what I'm looking for is a very small central battery system, but these all seem to be designed to power whole buildings.

I can't find anything between this below link (8W), and a large central battery system.

I can't just use a standard UPS as it doesn't have a switched live input for functional switching of the lights. Also I'm sure wouldn't comply with EL standards anyway.

Is there a reason you cannot do what dave sparks has suggested previously?
I may need to go this route, but finding suitable looking fittings isn't easy. The client would prefer to keep the existing fittings and doesn't want a bunch of EM bulkheads.

Also since the switches are wired separately from the light fittings, it seemed the easiest option to just add one battery box with inverter.

Reply to Small central UPS for converting circuit to emergency lighting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock