Discuss Smart Light Switch Wiring - Advice Needed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey guys!

New DIY 'new build' homeowner trying to not cause any damage to wiring!

I'm looking to swap out the existing traditional light switch with a 3 gang smart switch in my kitchen. I've successfully managed to wire in two 2 gang smart switches in the bathrooms but this 3 gang switch has me stumped...

The wiring for the current switch is (from right to left):
  • L1 - Main Light
  • L2 - Undercabinet Light
  • L3 - Extractor Fan (I'm guessing the neutral is required for this)
IMG_4575.jpeg

IMG_4576.jpeg

I'm mainly stuck on what the wiring going into the top and bottom of the switch is doing and why a jumper cable is linked from L1 through to L2 and then to L3. The new smart light switch looks like this:

IMG_4579.jpeg

Any help on how to wire this up would be massively appreciated! Happy to try and provide some further images if it helps anyone!

Cheers,
Drew

TL;DR
Searching for assistance on how to wire a 3 gang smart light switch
Look at your old switch as 3 separate units. The jumper cables are taking live to each Common terminal.

Your new switch has only one live going in, and the 3 outgoing switch wires. (Which are marked as L1 on each of the old switch units.)

Your new smart switch requires a neutral… looks like you have one in the back of the box.

The blue that is connected to the switch is actually a live switch wire and needs to be identified as such with a bit of brown sleeving or tape.

Reply to Smart Light Switch Wiring - Advice Needed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net