Search the forum,

Discuss smoke detection/rcbo yes or no in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

The important part missing here,is the fire alarm or mains smoke detector is there to protect life, dont make it the caurse of taking life. Personally and by the 5839, i would like to see supply taken from mcb, with no rcd protection, but if this means in domestic premises, increasing the risk of electic shock, then the wiring regs come first,
If all wiring is tested and fully compliant, there is no reason for an rcd or rbo to trip

if you want the smokes RCD protected, trhen you must use a RCBO so that a fault in another circuit can't take the smokes out. at the end of the day, it's your call.
better them pulled of a lighting point (via FCU)....that way if you lose the power to the smokes/heats....the lighting will/should also be out......
the best way of giving smoke/heat alarm cables additional protection as well as having a clear indication of a loss of supply......

Would not disagree with that.....The be all and end all, you write your cert for the wiring making sure all is safe, and on the BS5839 p6 cert you write the variation that a rbo has been installed to comply with iee due to bathroom ceiling level, or any other Iee reg that applies.

I see all your sides here but one thing you all forget is if power is lost to a standard domestic mains detector with battery back-up it will still function for years .... consider a battery only detector and how many years it lasts before battery goes low.... so the whole argument about losing power is not relevant ....... im struggling to see some of your concerns here... so the danger of the detector losing power isn't a concern so the BS 7671 regarding cables <50mm takes a higher risk unless the occupants go on holidays for 3 yrs and in that time the mains trips and when they return they don't notice cos the battery is dead and that night they get killed in a house fire.....well I'll take the risk to stand my day in court if that occurs...

Last edited:
I see ll your sides here but one thing you all forget is if power is lost to a standard domestic mains detector with battery back-up it will still function for years .... consider a battery only detector and how many years it lasts before battery goes low.... so the whole argument about losing power is not relevant ....... im struggling to see some of you concerns here...

This was my comment earlier, and is very relevent

Reply to smoke detection/rcbo yes or no in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back