Discuss Sockets in Loft in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Get a life idiot, I joined this site to get honest help of experienced electricians and can someone tell me why there is so my people on here who its ok to run sockets of lighting circuits!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a life idiot, I joined this site to get honest help of experienced electricians and can someone tell me why there is so my people on here who its ok to run sockets of lighting circuits!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now now Patrick;)
The regulations refer to legal installations ,of course its ok to run off the lights as long as it only plug in ,as its not part of the fixed wiring ,so it does not come under the remit for testing ,and its a few quid cheaper:eek:

out of curiosity how would you suggest fitting a socket to plug in to from the lighting without it being fixed wiring? as i'd never entertained the thought of running power from a lighting circuit

I have taken a back seat over the past few weeks and not really had time to post but in some ways it has given me the chance to read everything and think about things.
Why does everyone want to do things the cheapest way or the easiest way. Surely we should all be trying to do things the best way and then look for the easiest and most cost effective way of achieving this aim, or am I a dying breed of electricians who believe in what they do, has pride in their work and tries to to the best he can to provide the customer with what they want.

I have just got back from the pub so stay with me - count how many bulbs and the wattage of those add all together and divide by 230 - will give you amps. Check what breaker your amps are on? Usually 6amp - now you need to work out what ampere you have left and what use this would be to you in the form of sockets?

I would never run a socket other than an aerial booster off a lighting circuit.

Hmmm.....maybe the site could do with a clear out...there are a few people on here could do with removing. Offering bad and potentially dangerous advice is a no-no. Just cos you can doesnt make it right.

I find the easiest approach to my work standards is by asking myself if I would be happy with it in my home??

I would never be happy with a socket run from anything other that it's own ring main, I want my cooker on it's own, my boiler on it's own and my lighting on it's own as a very minimum. I have the kitchen on it's own circuit and outside lights on their own.

In theory, using the feed to the boiler would work fine. However when most electricians are installing a circuit and they know the load demanded on it, the materials used tend to be for that specification. To then go and make changes on a circuit which has not been installed with this in mind is (in my opinion) a bad move.

What would you think if when looking to buy a new home, you saw sockets fed from a boiler feed???

Taking a look at home this evening, I could confidently take a spur from the back of an existing socket in an upstairs bedroom, channel it up the wall, fill it and add a socket in the loft with no more than 3 hours work. O.K the cost's are higher but so is the standard of work and isn't this what shows the pro's from the DIYers?

We have a saying in our house..... "cheap work, cooks people"...........we'll not really, but I might just start it off!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
out of curiosity how would you suggest fitting a socket to plug in to from the lighting without it being fixed wiring? as i'd never entertained the thought of running power from a lighting circuit

Its possable to get a bayonet fitting that connects to the end of a piece of flex,not ideal but a solution of sorts ,i also agree with Tony Towa ,whoever he is :eek:,however with the miniscule membership on here following randy the rats advise would leave him playing on his own ,or with his self;)

Hmmm.....maybe the site could do with a clear out...there are a few people on here could do with removing. Offering bad and potentially dangerous advice is a no-no. Just cos you can doesnt make it right.

yeah right on rand,youve got it in hand,perfect:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe some of us are seeing this question different to others - i see feed the boiler in the loft off a 13a spur , as in (combi boiler pulling 3 amp max fed via a spur off the ring)
don't think the guy means immersion heater , because they are not normally in the loft and are normally switched via a 20amp dp switch rather than a f/s.....
That was why i answered saying it would be ok ...
maybe abit more info would help

assured elec, i think you may be confused, i dont believe the spur is in the attic, it would be in the normal locations, he is on about spurring it from there to give him easy access to the attic where he wants the sockets.

that's how i've read the question.

the poster if wanting to carry out this work should be able to think at this level for himself. if he doesn't have the experience, skills or knowledge to make these deicsions then he should simply make every effort to make sure he complies with the regulations which he does fully understand, basically, if you're not sure don't do it.

Animal......in case you hadn't noticed, this site is the ELECTRICIANS forum.....maybe I have it all wrong, but an ELECTRICIAN is competent in the application of the principles outlined in the 17th edition. This current string is peppered with suggestions that are so far from the regs it doesn't bear thinking about. A lot of the site is like this. There are too many people on here offering ill informed advice to people with genuine queries. If you don't know the regs, aren't qualified to have an Electricians opinion, then you should keep it to yourself. While we all accept that there will be people who will ignore the law and do their own sparkying, it is irresponsible to offer people wrong and potentially fatal advice, which they may well take on board.......worst case scenario.....someones in a box because some idiot on here suggested they wire up doubles to their upstairs lighting circuit. Fancy that on your conscience?

Lets keep this cival please.....If anybody see's advice they think is wrong then isn't it the whole idea to state why it is and keep it friendly....

thanks lads...

Lets keep this cival please.....If anybody see's advice they think is wrong then isn't it the whole idea to state why it is and keep it friendly....

thanks lads...

I fully agree ,the advise i gave was correct ,if the "installation" is not part of the fixed wiring then its not covered by any electrical regulations ,so any one can do it electrician or not ,i didnt say it was a good idea;)

are you using cockney ryming slang randy ,randy rat

Animal......in case you hadn't noticed, this site is the ELECTRICIANS forum.....maybe I have it all wrong, but an ELECTRICIAN is competent in the application of the principles outlined in the 17th edition. This current string is peppered with suggestions that are so far from the regs it doesn't bear thinking about. A lot of the site is like this. There are too many people on here offering ill informed advice to people with genuine queries. If you don't know the regs, aren't qualified to have an Electricians opinion, then you should keep it to yourself. While we all accept that there will be people who will ignore the law and do their own sparkying, it is irresponsible to offer people wrong and potentially fatal advice, which they may well take on board.......worst case scenario.....someones in a box because some idiot on here suggested they wire up doubles to their upstairs lighting circuit. Fancy that on your conscience?

It maybe an ELECTRICIANS forum but if you read some of the posts people have openly admitted to not be an ELECTRICIAN, so sometimes getting the correct questions and giving the right answers can be difficult.

I fully agree ,the advise i gave was correct ,if the "installation" is not part of the fixed wiring then its not covered by any electrical regulations ,so any one can do it electrician or not ,i didnt say it was a good idea;)

are you using cockney ryming slang randy ,randy rat

the thing here is, have you ever heard the saying

'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing'

quite simply you are being irresponsible offering this little bit of information to an unskilled person, as they could try to use this as a loophole where you have failed to inform him of the safety implications of any such action and they would continue thinking that they are being clever and safe, all the while endangering themselves and/or any person residing in the premises.

and i also fail to see how you will be connecting a socket to the lighting circuit and classify it as not part of the 'fixed wiring' this is intended to apply to extension leads and accessories. if you use a screwdriver to connect and secure a flex to the circuit, it is fixed wiring.

Can't see a problem with adding a spur to the boiler circuit as long as the total load of the boiler and what ever the socket is to be used for does not exceed the cable capacity supplying the boiler spur. Might be best for the sake of safety (water leaks etc in a loft) to use an RCD spur in parallel with the existing boiler spur. That way if the boiler circuit is not on an RCD it won't be an issue.

what is the CSA of the cable supplying the boiler?

would it be an option to install a JB in place of the fused spur and run some 2.5mm cable into the attic to supply a radial circuit (if you are already on a 16A breaker)

to feed the boiler then spur out of the junction box installed to a 5A fused spur supplying the boiler???

issue a minor works certificate?? as it is an addition to an existing circuit??

thoughts...?

when you say boiler do you meen immersion , if so already using 13a and would normally be wired in 1.5 so why not put some effort in and wire off the upstairs sockets cant be that hard to get to the loft .

now you need to work out what ampere you have left and what use this would be to you in the form of sockets?

I would never run a socket other than an aerial booster off a lighting circuit.

Is this acceptable then?
Is this not against the regs taking power from a light to a fcu to feed an aerial booster?

I thought lighting circuits were for lamps and lamps only?
Is there a reg on this?

Reply to Sockets in Loft in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock