Discuss Sold my soul to the Niceic in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As the title suggests, I have started the process of registering with the NIC, £540 worse off so far, let the fun begin!

HT!! Stroma £288!

With the mandatory eicr for rented property up your way im sure you'll earn it back in no time.....how much would it of been to go with select?

Why does that make it better to go with NIC Lee? Do they only accept NIC?

Can a mod edit the thread title please, don't know how to do it myself, if even possible?

You cant hide the fact you've sold your soul with the press of a few buttons HT, no mods can help you now. You're DOOMED!! :devil:

Ive just left NIC AC this year for stroma, i had a little test year last year, took all nic logos off my paperwork and certificates

only one person asked if i was a registered electrician......thats it

even all my local council wanted was registered and assessed by a third party for the works i tender for

stroma- £288 inc vat, assess you for domestic, commercial, eicrs and 3rd party inspections(if thats your bag)

thats about £600 per year better off for the same service

ive been dealing with one person the whole process and must admit they have been excellent

Last edited:
Yeah as gutterball said its only they 2 up here, completely different set up, no domestic installers just approved contractor!

Yeah Lee that's the main reason I signed up, it is supposedly a requirement to carry out eicr's, I have a fair bit of worm through the estate agents and as you say with it being mandatory now it's a lot of work for me!

With the mandatory eicr for rented property up your way im sure you'll earn it back in no time.....how much would it of been to go with select?

Pretty much as soon as I registered I found I got a lot more work. Surprising how many people look on the websites of Trustmark, NAPIT, NIC, etc for sparks. I suppose it gives them peace of mind....if only they knew!!

Can a mod edit the thread title please, don't know how to do it myself, if even possible?

What would like it editing to :teeth_smile:

Hows that for you :whatchutalkingabout

Pretty much as soon as I registered I found I got a lot more work. Surprising how many people look on the websites of Trustmark, NAPIT, NIC, etc for sparks. I suppose it gives them peace of mind....if only they knew!!

I've said this to customers for years, just because they're with NIC doesn't mean they know what they're doing!

Only playing I've put it right now.

I'm just in the process of leaving the Nic and joining Napit.

One good thing with NAPIT is that you get straight through to their technical dept....

One bad thing about NAPIT is their technical dept don't seem as knowledgeable as I would like on the couple of times I rang them!

My impression was they sat firmly on the fence with the queries I had. Although sometimes a quick discussion can clarify thoughts in your own head.

Congratulations on joining the NicEic. Despite the additional cost it'll help distinguish yourself from the amateurs in the other scams
Youll never see a specifier, architect etc choose a stroma, Napit etc contractor over a Nic one. You will see them use phrases similar to "must be registered with the NicEic/or similar.
The Nic are far from perfect but a lot of the assessors from the other scams are those that can't get in with the Nic.
Dont let the money fool you, there is a reason they are still the No1 brand

Congratulations on joining the NicEic. Despite the additional cost it'll help distinguish yourself from the amateurs in the other scams ��
Youll never see a specifier, architect etc choose a stroma, Napit etc contractor over a Nic one. You will see them use phrases similar to "must be registered with the NicEic/or similar.
The Nic are far from perfect but a lot of the assessors from the other scams are those that can't get in with the Nic.
Dont let the money fool you, there is a reason they are still the No1 brand

It depends where your at and what kind of work you are undertaking

once your well established, i find your customers want YOU, not any logo stuck on your van they couldnt careless

i doubt many domestic installers will be coming up against tender specifiers a great deal

Last edited:
It depends where your at and what kind of work you are undertaking

I was in your camp , have been an nic AC for a while and was always being told of the virtues of being registered with them but i find it being Just not essential

once your well established, i find your customers want YOU, not any logo stuck on your van they couldnt care less

however if you are tendering on a commercial basis for large contracts for councils/larger outfits then i would still recommend it, but probably not for a one man band/ domestic/light commercial electrician like myself nowadays

I feel the same mate, I have managed thus far without the logo and can count on the one hand how many times someone has mentioned being with either Select or NIC, and these weren't potential customers just other trades on the job, who are under the illusion that yup ou must be with a scheme or you don't know your arse from your elbow! But I am looking forward to having the back up of being in a scheme for any further works etc that may require it!

Reply to Sold my soul to the Niceic in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net