Discuss Switches in a Washroom? distance? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Is there any regulations to what distance and height of a switch is to be away from a sink in a washroom (toliet and sink) in the Regs, cant seem to find anything as its not a special location is it. I'm guessing its got to be 300mm from the sink like in a kitchen??

Hi Luke,

and which reg says it has to be 300mm from a sink in a kitchen???

i am aware that the regs talk about equipment being suitable for their environment. if you were to mount a 13 A socket, for example, directly above a sink, it could be argued that it unsuitable, due to possible water ingress etc., but what if the socket was to a high IP code such as IP67 (capable of temporary immersion in water i believe)

appreciate this does not fully answer you, but the reason you cant find the reg is there isnt one (ar far as i am aware) - so it could be a straightfoward judgement call on your part. A pull switch would be safer than a flick switch, and a flick switch further from a source of water is safer than one closer to it (sorry if you are now sucking on something oval in shape that comes from a chicken!)

Sorry i cant help further !!!

regards

Tony

Thats alright that tony, Its just that I couldn't find something which isnt there, saved me more time scanning through the book. Got the 300m from a sink in the kitchen in the onsite guide to the building regulations, is it not a reg and just a recommendation??

cheers luke

Damn right Luke, just a reccomendation, not a reg. There are actually a number of things out there which started out as good practice (and still are good practice) but over time have become considered to absolutes which must be adhered to!

regards

Tony

That's what I have for by D/S toilet and it drives me mad - so much so that I am going to install a PIR in the toilet instead and do away with the unsightly switch in an awkward place

good idea on pir saves leaving light on all time . some of the toilet /sink rooms we install in are no bigger than a cubicle yet the drawing office still put in a switch i prefer a pir anytime

If as been suggested, in a room containing a wc and wash hand basin, the light could be operated by a pir or a switch outside the room or a pullcord (all of which seem sensible to do) should this theory be extended to kitchens, where hands can also be immersed in water.

Any views

If as been suggested, in a room containing a wc and wash hand basin, the light could be operated by a pir or a switch outside the room or a pullcord (all of which seem sensible to do) should this theory be extended to kitchens, where hands can also be immersed in water.

Any views

No, because there is less shock risk in a kitchen than in a bathroom where a persons body is likely to be wet.

Although that doesnt stop them putting their hands outside the door to flick the switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just need to fins a nice wall mounted one. Anyone got any ideas?

I've seen them ones that fit a single gang switch box,only problem is they need a neutral,which you don't usually have at the switch.You can also get ones built into some light fittings,or you can also get the motion sensor separate which you can fit into the fitting yourself.

I've seen them ones that fit a single gang switch box,only problem is they need a neutral,which you don't usually have at the switch.You can also get ones built into some light fittings,or you can also get the motion sensor separate which you can fit into the fitting yourself.
they do a 2 wire pir now that uses the switch line via lamp as a neutral

Is there more shock risk in a room containing a wc and handbasin?
I rarely undress and immerse myself in water before using the loo.

Last edited by a moderator:
No apoligies needed Jason, but isn't this a trait of our trade. You need a degree in
Hop Scotch to wade through BS7671 and now with the advent of the various parts of the Building Regs it just adds to the ambiguity

Reply to Switches in a Washroom? distance? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock