Discuss Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

didnt test between both busbars, only did one busbar at a time to E or N
Main switch on and RCD off:
left busbar 230v to E or N
right busbar 0V to E or N

yes, my tester has a panic attack if i do continuity on a live source :)
they look in contact, continuity proves they are.
Yet no voltage?!? thats why im confused :(

Went to a friends house to replace a switch. Couldn't isolate the circuit via MCBs on the CU. There were about 10 MCBs on a split board, both RCD protected. Switched off all MCBs but still couldn't isolate power. Had to use main switch.

Went to a friends house to replace a switch. Couldn't isolate the circuit via MCBs on the CU. There were about 10 MCBs on a split board, both RCD protected. Switched off all MCBs but still couldn't isolate power. Had to use main switch.

Did you not bother to investigate why?

Could either be fed direct off the main switch (unlikely) or, if you only tried one breaker at a time, the lighting could be fed off two breakers in parallel. Either way this needs sorting.

After replacement db fitted the rcd was tripping when powered up. After investigation found a shared neutral on the stairs lighting. Was easy enough to rectify by altering wiring. What is your opinion on putting both lighting circuits on the same rcd?

After replacement db fitted the rcd was tripping when powered up. After investigation found a shared neutral on the stairs lighting. Was easy enough to rectify by altering wiring. What is your opinion on putting both lighting circuits on the same rcd?

Simple tests would have shown this up before the board change.

I take it by easy fix you've just shoved both circuits on the same Rcd? So the lighting circuits still have a borrowed neutral?

I have gathered lots of useful information from this thread. I want to share one of my faulting experience. There is a fault in my boss cabin and he called me in the midnight for checking this issue, as I have little knowledge about handling electrical equipments. Actually the problem is that sockets were going on and off and the extension was also very old. When I will try to repair it,suddenly fire occurs and which destroys the whole office.That was horrible experience.But after reading this post, all my doubts are clear.

Good question. I was called round in the evening and only had time to do what I had been called to do - replace the switch (and a socket). I pointed out the issue to my friend and I am planning to go back to investigate. Thanks for the tip.

Simple tests would have shown this up before the board change.

I take it by easy fix you've just shoved both circuits on the same Rcd? So the lighting circuits still have a borrowed neutral?

The lighting circuits were split into two, was a council house so had to be on separate rcd. Was told keeping the shared neutral but putting all the lights one one circuit was acceptable? Your thoughts? What simple tests would have shown this up? An electrical condition report had been completed already.

as the problem is usually with the landing 2 way light, a simple test would be to switch off the upstairs lighting breaker and see whether the landing light still worked. if it does, then it's 90% certain that it gets it's L supply from the downstairs circuit.

Found these on an ISI&TEE

IMG00283_zps793ce6cb.jpg

Company didn't want these items checked, they have lasted for 4 years without problem, why check them.

They shrugged shoulders when shown these items.

Reply to Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net