Discuss Testing in domestic (without part p) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

well said that man tonyM58.All these bodies have a great interest in confounding and complicating
things in order to get credibility for themselves and in turn make money off the honest toil of others.

Tony M58 just to highlight it is not a legal requirement to join a scheme infact it goes against the European Free Trade Act to have a closed shop in all but name the LBC are walking a thin line here because the could be legally challenged for allowing cartel of scheme providers that do not have a system in place to audit or police members. Edinburgh district council accept certificating from an electrician by what is called "Enquiry" ie a front and back copy of their SJIB card showing their grade and qualifications along with a recent tester calibration certificate. Remember that all a scheme provider member has to do is put their scheme membership number on the cert but this is open to abuse because they can let someone who is not qualified do work and sign it off and there is no one to audit them whether it be the LBC or the Scheme provider.

If you think this does not happen well from what I have seen it is out of control and as one planning guy said to me at least documentation by enquiry you have the evidence in front of you and not a scheme number to refer to.

As for watch this space I hate to be cynical but that efforts of the schemes getting together is to try and plug the holes of a sinking ship remember the house of commons Part P enquiry pulled them up for having a direct conflict of interests so here is and idea a group of sparks get together and pay £50-£100 each to make a legal challenge to a LBC under the European Free Trade Act citing restriction of trade for using a cartel system

At the end of the day, to be a competent person you need to be assessed. Either by a self-certification scheme or by a registered organisation. Only then will you be deemed in you're competancy to inspect and test electrical installations.

"are you a member of any electrical scheme... no ok then, where are the certs, oh they're nice green ones & you've filled them out, are you competent to do so?, right ok you have 2330 / NVQ3 work full time as a spark & you have 2381 & 2391, ok so it seems you are competent to undertake & test this kind work"

Qualifications alone do not make a legally accepted competent person thats why we pay megabucks to have this title bestowed upon us.

Yes i agree. you do not have to be a member to be competent to undertake any electrical work as long as you're certs are signed by one. Hence part p which is statutory .

What a complete load of cobblers you've come out with here!!! You seem to have been completely brainwashed by these scam providers. Exactly what assessment do any of these scams make as to the competence of an electrician, look at maybe a CU change, or a socket extension?? lol!!!
Listen, ....if guys stacking shelves at Tesco's a month earlier and have gone through a numbty 5 week course can be routinely deemed as being competent by these scam providers, what does that actually tell you??

A fully trained, time served electrician that holds his papers, is deemed competent by just about everyone and his dog, they shouldn't need to be in any scams registry in the first place!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here Here spent 6 years not 6 week getting my approved grade via my qualifications if this was not so serious it would be a joke the way Schemies are saturating the trade

Here Here spent 6 years not 6 week getting my approved grade via my qualifications if this was not so serious it would be a joke the way Schemies are saturating the trade

Exactly!! Who's ever heard of anyone actually failing a Scam assessment anyway, if a Electrical Trainee can sail through, what's that have to say about these scam providers assessments!! lol!! And here they all are now beating the Safety Drum for all it's worth, ...hypocrisy at it's worst!!! Scams by name and Scams by Nature!! lol!!

I see the March edition of Professional Electrician the Schemies are welcoming the recent changes to Part P mmmmmm

No its not the case!!!!

if by 'work' you mean installation work, then if its notifiable, you still have to pre-notify building control i.a.w Part P. although you CAN still test and inspect it yourself and submit the BS7671 certifcates to building control as evidence that the work complied with BS7671 - if the council makes a statement such as "it must be tested by a competent persons scheme member" then personally I would be reperting tem to trading standards as they have no legal authority to require this

If by 'work' you mean just testing and inspecting, then Part P doesnt apply anyway, and aisde from Part P, as i have said the only requirement is that you are competent (which you clearly must be if you are testing for your employer)

too much crredence has been put in the past on C&G 2391 and NICEIC, it shouild be remebered that they are both charities and are also trading partners so they have engineered it so that many people think you HAVE to hold 2391 and be an NIC memeber!

hope this helps

Dear Mr Tony

I believe this statement is not very accurate, City & Guilds has noting to do with NICEIC, and they are completely two different entities.

Best regards
R&M

Dear Mr Tony

I believe this statement is not very accurate, City & Guilds has noting to do with NICEIC, and they are completely two different entities.

Best regards
R&M

Well he got the charity thing right what he omitted that they had no shareholders to please so all profits from their sales has to be spent funny enough on bonuses and extra pension payments .In my view this is driving our trade into the gutter so next time you get assessed ask them if they will give you details

Last edited by a moderator:
Well he got the charity thing right what he omitted that they had no shareholders to please so all profits from their sales has to be spent funny enough on bonuses and extra pension payments .In my view this is driving our trade into the gutter so next time you get assessed ask them if they will give you details

I am not sure are you answering me or someone else? It's better we don't mix these two matters. What I am saying is C&G is not partner with NICEIC.

You say NICEIC is charity but they have some problems with their pensions and bonuses and they are bad for trade. I have no argue with that and I believe all competent person scheme providers care more about their profits than their members of customers. But still the fact is C&G is not partner with NICEIC. I believe we should not give wrong information to others, but that's me.

Best regards
R&M

I see the March edition of Professional Electrician the Schemies are welcoming the recent changes to Part P mmmmmm

Which can only mean, there will be a sting in the tail for the scams members!! lol!! Like an addition fee for conducting/completing any 3rd party documentation etc!! Whether they have the legal right to do so or not!!

Reply to Testing in domestic (without part p) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock