Discuss Tips for my first niceic inspection in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi people. I’ve got my first niceic inspection in a few weeks. Any advice on what to expect? What type of installations to show them? Any tips to get through it smoothly would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks fellas ( and girls )

Remember you are paying them for their services...
Don’t be nervous, turn the tables on the asessor and use it as an opportunity to assess them..
Ask him questions and see what his knowledge is like, ask him about new sections of the regs like SPDs,etc..
Talk about their notification set up, how reliable it is, server problems and whatnot..
You know your jobs and set up is all good, otherwise you wouldn’t be going for membership, relax and don’t waffle...

Yeah don’t be nervous. Nice pile of paperwork ready. Certs for the jobs you are going to. If office audit is good then it starts day of well.
Don’t -------- , if you are unsure if anything ask for their advice as they love demonstrating their knowledge. Are you going ac or di ?

I don’t really do much private work to be honest as up until now I haven’t really needed to and also i wanted to be able to self certify before I started doing pw. Obviously this is going to make the whole process a little more difficult. I was hoping to use my home as the job. Is this exceptable. I’ve done a full rewire and then an office extension, plus loft conversion. The contractor I’m sub contracting from currently told me he was able to get away with using his home as the example job but this was for domestic installer not approved

Also one thing I’ve been unable to find any concrete answers for is the distance of a distribution board to a gas meter. Mine are currently both in the same 900 square cupboard and almost touching. I’m aware of the 150mm distance hearsay that goes round but like I say, I don’t seem to be able to find any concrete evidence for this

Also one thing I’ve been unable to find any concrete answers for is the distance of a distribution board to a gas meter. Mine are currently both in the same 900 square cupboard and almost touching. I’m aware of the 150mm distance hearsay that goes round but like I say, I don’t seem to be able to find any concrete evidence for this

As far as I know 150mm.is not hearsay, it is from the GSIUR

he was able to get away with using his home as the example job but this was for domestic installer not approved

You can use your own premises as on eof the sample jobs.
If it is a domestic installer registration then one domestic job is required.
If it is an approved contractor registration then it needs to be 3 sample jobs demonstrating the full spectrum of work you carry out, not just domestic work.

I put the fuseboard next to the gas meter I didn’t really have much of an option unless I was going to put the fuseboard on show in my kitchen. I was thinking about building an enclosure around the gas meter using fire proof boarding? I was under the impression that as long as there was a non combustible barrier between them that was ok?

You can use your own premises as on eof the sample jobs.
If it is a domestic installer registration then one domestic job is required.
If it is an approved contractor registration then it needs to be 3 sample jobs demonstrating the full spectrum of work you carry out, not just domestic work.

I was told by the niceic that I could do one board change, one eicr and one partial or full re-wire. I did purposefully ask if one needed to be in an commercial or industrial environment and they told me domestic would be “ok”. I’ll wait to hear what the actual inspector says when they call me too book a date in.

You’ll be fine with all domestic. An EICR is good but really ensure your report is accurate as my inspector even had me working out csa and copper equivalent of a 6mm steel bolt. No need for commercial as some ACs never do anything but domestic. The engineers are pretty good guys and don’t mind if you have a few gaps in knowledge, as long as you’re safe and working to a good standard, and you know where to find what you don’t know you will be golden. Always get them talking about their work history as it fills the awkward spaces between jobs etc. Good luck

You’ll be fine with all domestic. An EICR is good but really ensure your report is accurate as my inspector even had me working out csa and copper equivalent of a 6mm steel bolt. No need for commercial as some ACs never do anything but domestic. The engineers are pretty good guys and don’t mind if you have a few gaps in knowledge, as long as you’re safe and working to a good standard, and you know where to find what you don’t know you will be golden. Always get them talking about their work history as it fills the awkward spaces between jobs etc. Good luck

Thanks for the advice mate I’ll bare it all in mind

Are the nic going to want to see an approved voltage tester and proving unit? Or can I get away with using my fluke t5-1000 and proving it on a known source when doing safe isolation, which I’m assuming you’ll have to show?

When I did my Elecsa assessments (domestic), I used a known source to do safe isolation. However, I did have a proving unit also. If you’re doing commercial/industrial, or new builds, there might be an occasion when you won’t have that known source, so why not get yourself a proving unit. You are responsible for your safety.:)

Reply to Tips for my first niceic inspection in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net