Currently reading:
Tonights call out...

Discuss Tonights call out... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Got a call this afternoon, my cooker has packed up...

"ok" ill pop round later to look....

Jeees, your lucky I said. He said it didnt trip anything... I had a new board fitted two years ago too.

Looked at the board, all incorrectly labled on circuits, not water bonding or gas, no warning labels, oh and no this circuit has no CPC label either (lights had no CPC).

Anyway, this is what I found...

The cooker was a 16A, 3.2Kw cooker, with a plug top on it that the kitchen fitter had done a couple of years ago...

The plug circuit was not even connected on the RCD side of the board to my horror.

DSC05813.jpg DSC05818.jpg DSC05795.jpg DSC05821.jpg

Then he said, the cooker hasnt worked for two months... yet it stank of burning... somehow didn't believe it. He then said, some of the lights upstairs are not working.. I said ok ill take a quick look... no power to three of the rooms and no power to switches... Strangely all the ceiling roses looked brand spanking new! Id say he has been doing a bit of DIY. I did ask him to confess, but no he didnt. He was a painter.

Anyway, id say he has been dabbling and messed it up.

Anyway, I changed the faceplate and tested it quickly, stuck a couple of stickers on, removed a few light fittings to see if there was anything obvious and said thats £35 please, this was at 7pm. He was shocked that it was so much!!!

Anyway, got to go back saturday to put a 20A switch in the ring so that the cooker can be wired into that directly instead of via a plug top, just going to be tight putting it in and the like, I reckon I can put a 20A switch hard against the top of the existing double socket in the cupboard and wire the cooker onto that, should be ok then.

I did say though, im not doing it until the plug circuit that its on is moved onto the RCD side of the board, I suspect its full of faults which is why the cowboy who did it, didn't do it to start with. It was a real rough job they had done, oh and he had no paperwork...

Id say the bloke is lucky the house is standing!

Reply to Tonights call out... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back