Discuss trying to understand 3 phase motor/capacitor installation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

qaz

-
Reaction score
I'm a qualified mechanic but always tackled small electrical jobs without incident. wonder if i can get some advice re a 60's potters wheel.

it consists of :
-a 220-250 volt 3 phase, c/s 50, motor
-an largish oval capacitor [with a resistor between the 2 contacts] some distance away from motor. A 2 core cable runs from the switch box directly to the capacitor.
-a switch box on outside with 2 buttons, one for on and the other i assume is reset or off.

when switched on it runs extremely slowly for 10 seconds then stops, if you wait for a minute and press what i assume is the reset button, it will start again.

during the 10 seconds it runs you can stop it with one finger at which point it reverses direction.

any help in understanding this installation and why its not working would be much appreciated
m

A few pics would help especially the motor rating plate.

Are you sure it's a 3 phase motor, from your description it sound like a single phase job can't be sure though without a pic of the rating plate.

Where do the wires from the capacitor go to.

directly into the switch box , no where else

Is it running from a single phase supply by any chance. Be interesting to see inside the box if you can take a pic with the power OFF.

i think that's a 3 phase motor. 415V in star, 230V in delta

yes we are 240 volts. what does 415V in star mean , pls
will get pic today

Is it running from a single phase supply by any chance. Be interesting to see inside the box if you can take a pic with the power OFF.
3/4 HP 0n 3 Phase does sound OTT Like Westward said a pic of the inside of the box, or better still a pic of the motor connections. BUT MAKE SURE THE MOTOR IS ISOLATED PRIOR TO TAKING ANY COVERS OFF
If it is SP then the symptoms suggest either a failed start or run capacitor, or a faulty Centrifugal switch, may need to call a Sparky who is familiar with Motors and the associated control gear.

Last edited:
yes we are 240 volts. what does 415V in star mean , pls
will get pic today
It means it will run with 240v in delta connection and 415v in star connection but both supplies need to be three phase. It is possible someone has fitted the capacitor in an attempt to make it run from 240v single phase, possibly.

if u still need pic of motor connection just ask. im not familiar with short versions of terms, if u all mind would use whole words if poss,.
thanx

trying to understand 3 phase motor/capacitor installation IMG_9379.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

trying to understand 3 phase motor/capacitor installation IMG_9380.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

trying to understand 3 phase motor/capacitor installation IMG_9381.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

trying to understand 3 phase motor/capacitor installation IMG_9382.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

trying to understand 3 phase motor/capacitor installation IMG_9383.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

trying to understand 3 phase motor/capacitor installation IMG_9387.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

trying to understand 3 phase motor/capacitor installation IMG_9388.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

It means it will run with 240v in delta connection and 415v in star connection but both supplies need to be three phase. It is possible someone has fitted the capacitor in an attempt to make it run from 240v single phase, possibly.
thanx for clarification . previous owner said that it just stopped working one day

Either way get a pro to help.

wheel is of limited value, i will persist a bit longer if people here can spare more of their valuable time
What ever floats yer boat

Assuming the green wire was connected under the terminal cover how many more wires are in that cable.

so to re cap its a 3 phase more running from a 1 phase supply, so, it must have been converted, hence the capacitor. is this pretty certain from what people here can see?

and if it is are thee any pointers as to what may be the fault, i may investigate using a single phase motor
thanx

Reply to trying to understand 3 phase motor/capacitor installation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock