Discuss Underground electrical service ducting / containment : colour coding? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

daviwill

Evening all,

Could someone advise if there is a regulation/guidance note that defines colour coding of underground ducting / containment for electrical services, I assume the 'accepted' colours of yellow -gas, blue - water and black - electrical are standardised but I could not see where this has been defined.

I have been having a 'discussion' with a ground worker who has laid drainage pipe in preparation for an electrical service, he has advised it is taped but I wanted to confirm if this is against guidance.

Thanks

I don't think you will find a regulation but industry standard colours are shown here on page 7. http://www.njug.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/V1-Positioning-Colour-Coding-Issue-8.pdf

Thanks for the info,

Would you have concerns with regards to using a drainage pipe to provide containment for an electrical service?

As I see it, if the swa service cable was simply laid in the trench and taped accordingly it wouldn't be an issue as the identification of exposed services indicates to assume any black plastic service as a live electrical service, HSG47.

In this scenario, the fact it would be ducted in standard drainage pipe although taped raises a concern about potential misidentification and the scenario of a future groundworker cutting through thinking it was drainage causes a severe risk.

If the colour coding is deemed 'industry standard', is there a case to challenge and ask for black service ducting to be installed?

Reply to Underground electrical service ducting / containment : colour coding? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

My house was built in the 1930s, The fuse in my service cut out is 60Amp and the wire coming from the street has a 16mm2 copper core(easy to see...
Replies
Views
Wouldn't normally note this as an observation on a report but feel I need to. The way the building has been wired is all circuits on L1 have been...
Replies
Views
I'm starting a new project on Monday, new dental practice conversion from a shop. Nothing new here, customer doesn't know what electrical heating...
Replies
Views
Hi all, first post so go easy! This is for people who are looking for more info on the course and exams and is from my experience of doing the...
Replies
Views
QR Codes have been around for 20 years and have pretty much been successfully used in special cases - scan the code to view the information or...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock