Discuss Using the lighting circuit for a radio in a bathroom? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

LOL, got inverters on the brain today, my truck driver mate rang me up with his finger on the panick button, he couldn't understand why he could only boil his kettle and charge his phone but not boil his kettle and use his toaster as it tripped the breaker! quick lesson and he was happy!

Thanks for all the replies. All of you that suggested running cables in the loftspace clearly didn't read the original post. Getting cables into the roof will be awkward as it's a dormer.

I'll pass on the inverter suggestion as I haven't got a DC supply to power it from, though I could park my campervan outside and run a cable up through the widow :(

A battery radio would do the trick, but I can guarantee my wife will run the batteries down, then being too lazy to replace them, resort to using a mains powered radio on an extension lead, which is what she's doing now !

I might just let her carry on with the current setup and increase her life insurance premiums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Techno-nerds whatever happened to occupying yourself in the bathroom ;) bet your a family who can't have a meal without the tv been on.... death to the art of family bonding :grouphug:

I'd use a product specifically designed for the purpose in hand; either a battery powered shower radio or something more extravagant like this:
Tavistock Arpeggio Led Bathroom Mirror-£276.19 with Dab Radio/iPod Dock only at pluckpoint.com
or as already mentioned something with separate waterproof speakers, remote control etc.

IMO running things off lighting circuits because routing the cable is easier isn't 'the correct' thing to do, because it's unconventional so someone might not be expecting it, everything else you add to the lighting circuit increases the chances of it tripping and someone ending up in the bathroom in the dark, and most people find the fan coming on with the light is bad enough, never mind the radio coming on at whatever volume it was last used at.

Reply to Using the lighting circuit for a radio in a bathroom? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net