Discuss Voltage Monitoring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Customer has been trying to use a dishwasher using Economy 7 at night, and its not working properly. Works fine during the day, Miele engineer says nothing wrong but the cause of the problem is a pressure switch that ends up with the dishwasher failing to heat the water.

Water pressure has been checked, now he's asking if I can monitor the line voltage, as SSE want proof there is a problem. I assume can hire some data logging gear, anyone know where?

I have use a Fluke VR1710 for the work you want to do and is intended for use in a domestic environment where it may be handled by unskilled persons. The others tend to be designed for wiring up with test leads and so on.

I have also had SSE do their own testing as well.

Have you tested the E7 socket?

I attended a call call this week where an "engineer" had condemned a dishwasher, so the client bought another... which didn't work either.

Now the engineer said the board had failed in the first unit, but he had failed to notice the lack of decent neutral due to a knackered socket

Have you tested the E7 socket?

I attended a call call this week where an "engineer" had condemned a dishwasher, so the client bought another... which didn't work either.

Now the engineer said the board had failed in the first unit, but he had failed to notice the lack of decent neutral due to a knackered socket

#1 says the dishwasher works OK during the day!

Its not a dedicated E7 socket, the whole installation goes over to E7 at a specific time.

I would also ask the customer to stay up and see if the lights using halogen lightbulbs look dim at that time and do they also have water, also do a PSSC test at the socket L-N and see if it is very different to other sockets in the house.

Reply to Voltage Monitoring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net