Discuss wanting to rewire my domestic property in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bijli

Hi Folks,
Brilliant and informative site here. Keep up the good work.
I want to rewire me home completely, from the consumer box, ring ciruits, bath etc - basically a complete overhall of the electrics. Various companies are charging an arm and leg as a minimum. Will an EAL Domestic Installer course provide me with the knowledge and skills to rewire my home?
I've looked at the 'EAL Level 2 Certificate for Domestic Electrical Installers' course run by olciplumbing. Will this allow me to carry out the work effectively?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Bijli

it will give you the technical competencies to do the work

however, you will still need the practical skills

presume you know about the Part P requirements for notification etc?

Not really ;-(.
The intention is to get the skills and knowledge for rewiring the house. Then be able to rewire the property and get a registered electrician to inspect and signb off the work.
Is that being relaistic or delusional?
Would i be able to easily get a registered electrician to sign my work off for a fee (as long as it is done correctly)?
Thanks in advance.
B

Will you be looking to become an electrician from this course or just to rewire your house? If not then the cost of some course can be quite high, then the labour/material on top. It all adds up.

Its like me thinking im gonna replumb my house, even though I know the basics I wouldn't go there :D

I just want to do my house and that's it. If i can save a grand or something like that, then its good, as i've also learned about electrics in general and can use the skills for thr future. But the intention is to use the skills for my house only and get that certified by an external elecrician.
Wat say you?
B;)

Not really ;-(.
The intention is to get the skills and knowledge for rewiring the house. Then be able to rewire the property and get a registered electrician to inspect and signb off the work.
Is that being relaistic or delusional?
Would i be able to easily get a registered electrician to sign my work off for a fee (as long as it is done correctly)?
Thanks in advance.
B

to be blunt

no!

and it depends what you mean by 'registered'

now, if YOU do the work, and YOU sign the EIC as designer and installer, then I would sign as test as test and inspecting it (after testing and inspecting obviously!)

but if you mean get a sparks to sign for the whole job? not a chance

and of course you would still have to pre-notify the LABC prior to doing the job, (and pay their fee) and they would also want to inspect it during the installation process

if you do the EAL domestic installers and your 17th edition regs you are qualified to design, install, test inspect and certify the entire job yourself

but add it up

EAL and 17th edition regs: about 1.5K depends where you train

LABC fees: about 150 quid, depends where you are

Multifunction tester: 4-500 quid, depending on what you buy (although you could always borrow /hire)

and thats before you buy your first reel of 2.5!

if you wanna do it to learn a skill, then go for it. But if its just for a rewire? starting to look expensive to me......:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm.
not looking as flowery as i was thinking.
You've ruined my evening:confused:, but thanks for shedding some light on the realities of the whole project:)
I may seriously have to reconsider whether i want to go throuth the whole process of learning and doing, as opposed to paying someone to do it all. It may cost a 1.5 grand on top, but in the long term, i guess it is worthwhile.
Thanks all.

think your best bet would be to try and find an electrician who'll be willing to let you do the labouring on the job; i.e. fix boxes, lift boards, do the chases, clean up. save yourself a few bob that way. :)

lol....bijli hasn't posted a reply....maybe he was so distraught over the response that he thought he'd end it all! :eek:

or maybe hes not a taff like me, realised his nation is crap at rugby, and that a welsh club side has won the grand slam:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ask up BnQ they will sell you all the material and have instructions on how to connect it all up ,theres no nead to test it or anything ,unless youve got kids,
go on take a chance in life ,yippy yi yay
the other way is ,if anyone is doing any tarmacking in the area ,ask them
all the best ,the very best
rumrunner

http://danger

Hi folks,

Thanks for keeping this post alive whilst i've been contemplating about the wiring.
Still not sure how to proceed ;-(
Whether, i should invest in a speed eal domestic course and do the work, hoping to find someone to sign it off, or just gety some bloke to do it for me.
Decisions, decisions......

Pay the professionals mate. If I want my taxes doing I ask my accountant. If I want my mortgage sorting out I speak to my financial adviser. I wouldn't dream of doing my CMAP exams to then be able to advise myself accordingly. I think you would have trouble sleeping at night if you attempted the job yourself so bite the bullet and pay a pro.

Hi,
Do you know how many times in my 30 odd year carear if been told how easy the electrical trade is ,i get well ****ed off with jokers thinking they can do it better,cheaper ,quicker,etc,etc,etc,BULLSH@T pall,
The electrical trade has to be the least understood trade there is ,any trade if done professionally demands great skill ,some trades are easyier than others to do well ,ask yourself if you were going to pay someone to wire your house ,would you use a first year apprentice ,because thats what you are suggesting,a first year apprentice would probably make a better job of it anyway,
a TRADESMAN will do it right ,dont think you can do a quick ,simple course and become one over night ,the right to call your self a TRADESMAN has to be EARNED,so stop fooling yourself,because if you havent the brains to understand whats involved ,you sure aint got the brains to be an ELECTRICIAN.
#### ###

Hi,
Do you know how many times in my 30 odd year carear if been told how easy the electrical trade is ,i get well ****ed off with jokers thinking they can do it better,cheaper ,quicker,etc,etc,etc,BULLSH@T pall,
The electrical trade has to be the least understood trade there is ,any trade if done professionally demands great skill ,some trades are easyier than others to do well ,ask yourself if you were going to pay someone to wire your house ,would you use a first year apprentice ,because thats what you are suggesting,a first year apprentice would probably make a better job of it anyway,
a TRADESMAN will do it right ,dont think you can do a quick ,simple course and become one over night ,the right to call your self a TRADESMAN has to be EARNED,so stop fooling yourself,because if you havent the brains to understand whats involved ,you sure aint got the brains to be an ELECTRICIAN.
#### ###

ok, shoosh now, there there (strokes Rum's head):p

Reply to wanting to rewire my domestic property in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock