Discuss What electrical work am I allowed to do as an unqualified homeowner? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

purple

Hi Guys,

Hope this is in the correct section. I just recently discovered that I am technically not allowed to install an extractor fan despite being outside of the special zones and would need an electrician to fit so they test and issue certificates. Now I have found clear information on what is notifiable under part P and I get that, but still struggling to get my head round the minor works certificate (I think that is the one being referred to?) Anyway, this was actually all news to me and I wasn't aware of it, so I am trying to gain some knowledge and understanding on the matter and have scoured google for hours but can't seem to find any solid information or rules on the subject

Ethics aside, what work am I actually allowed to do on my own house as an unqualified electrician? before I need a certificate issuing? Am literally only allowed to replace like for like but not add or modify an existing circuit?

If so, I have two questions relating to that. What are the (non moral) consequences of not having that certificate eg is it a legal requirement? or is it just something someone (lenders/insurance) likes to see when they buy a house for piece of mind? I don't have any certificates from the previous owners of this house for any work done by them or their electricians.

Also, Has this always been the case, or like part P, is this or more recent rule defined by a date, and identified by a change of colours on the cable.

Any concise clear reading resources you can point me to on the subject would be appreciated also!
Thanks for your time.

basically, you can do what you like in your own house as long as you are competent. it is, however, preferable to have the altered circuit tested in accordance with BS7671 (although not mandatory ) and a certificate issued for the work done. this would entail the purchase of the necessary test equipment and the knowledge to use it. cheaper to pay an electrician for a couple of hours to install and complete the paperwork.

In addition to what Tel said, the inspection and testing of a wiring alteration is always a good idea to ensure safety of those using it and the property in which it is installed. If anything went wrong, your competence and that the alteration was carried out in accordance with the wiring regs are things you may have to provide proof of. Insurance agents are just waiting for excuses like this not to pay out for claims.

Further advice
Electrical DIY - http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guides-and-advice/around-the-home/electrical-diy/

Thanks for replying with that info Telectrix! I was just reading here

"It is a legal requirement to complete a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate (commonly known as the Minor Works Certificate) after electrical installation work has been carried out on a modified circuit."

So that confuses me a bit, as that makes it sound mandatory?

Also, out of interest can a non qualified electrician with sufficient knowledge and testing equipment fill out and issue that certificate if needed, or does competence have to be proved first?

In addition to what Tel said, the inspection and testing of a wiring alteration is always a good idea to ensure safety of those using it and the property in which it is installed. If anything went wrong, your competence and that the alteration was carried out in accordance with the wiring regs are things you may have to provide proof of. Insurance agents are just waiting for excuses like this not to pay out for claims.

Further advice
Electrical DIY - http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guides-and-advice/around-the-home/electrical-diy/

Cheers Again Andy! Will take a read! :thumbsup:

Ethics aside, what work am I actually allowed to do on my own house as an unqualified electrician? before I need a certificate issuing?

With reference to the wiring regulations,testing and certification forms part of all electrical installation works
Depending on the work undertaken,it could be a minor works certificate or an electrical installation certificate

There is no restriction on anyone carrying out electrical work in domestic premises

There is the matter of competence,the person should be able to install and test his work competently
If you are doing work for yourself the risk is yours to live with or even die

When the work is notifiable,building control needs to be informed, there are 2 options
Option 1
Pay a fee to building control and they will test/inspect the work
Option2
Join a self certification scheme,it allows the person to self certificate that work is deemed in compliance with Building regs (with no involvement by Labc)

The certification that is sometimes asked for by insurance companies,mortgage lenders etc can stipulate that to ensure the work is satisfactory that the installers certification be under the wing of a scheme provider (where the member has had inspection of his skills and insurances etc)
You can provide your own but whether it is acceptable to the other party is your decision to make

Thanks for replying with that info Telectrix! I was just reading here

"It is a legal requirement to complete a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate (commonly known as the Minor Works Certificate) after electrical installation work has been carried out on a modified circuit."

So that confuses me a bit, as that makes it sound mandatory?

Also, out of interest can a non qualified electrician with sufficient knowledge and testing equipment fill out and issue that certificate if needed, or does competence have to be proved first?

yes is mandatory / even BS7671:2015 is not a statuatory document / because of part P building regulation

Part P always refers to BS7671 eg Part P Sec 3.31 so in your situation for the said above work a minor works certificate must be completed.
Some are under the impression that like-for-like replacement of accessories is regarded as maintenance rather than installation work and that no certification is required.
As in Regulation 631.3, the word, 'may' in the third sentence of the Notes to the MWC in Appendix 6 of BS 7671 may be causing some confusion. It states, 'This Certificate may also be used for the replacement of equipment such as accessories or luminaires, but not for the replacement of distribution boards or similar items'.
Where one accessory, such as a broken socket-outlet/light fitting, is replaced, the same tests are required as if a socket-outlet/light fitting had been added to the circuit or relocated. The final sentence in the Notes states, ''Appropriate inspection and testing, however, should always be carried out irrespective of the extent of the work undertaken'.
Appropriate inspection and testing is listed in the MWC, Part 3, Essential Tests. They are tests for earth continuity, insulation resistance, earth fault loop impedance, polarity and, if applicable, RCD operation.
This certificate then proves that it is safe and traceable documentation is available.

in short In short. YES it is required by law. as part P building regulations are the law, and they say we MUST follow BS 7671

More rubbish.
Compliance with BS7671 is just an option, not a requirement.

"In the Secretary of State’s view, the requirements of Part P will be met if low voltage and extra-low voltage electrical installations in dwellings are designed and installed so that both of the following conditions are satisfied.
  1. They afford appropriate protection against mechanical and thermal damage.

2. They do not present electric shock and fire hazards to people."

Last edited by a moderator:
so what is a proof of :

1. They afford appropriate protection against mechanical and thermal damage.

2. They do not present electric shock and fire hazards to people."

a minor works certificate.

more reading with understanding :)

If you were to do more reading, you would note that the document states 'should' be designed, 'should' be installed, etc. in accordance with BS7671.
If you were to read the document properly, you would also note that only the parts that have a green background, are statutory requirements.
As for understanding, could I suggest you try reading the Statutory Legislation, in particular Part P of Schedule 1 of the Building Regulations 2010.
Count up how many times BS7671 is mentioned there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just crack on with want you want to do, then some time in the future someone else will ask for an addition/alteration/new work to your property you've left behind, and then someone else will have to put right the balls up you've done, figuratively speaking of course :)

Ps that's of course if you are not a qualified competent electrician, who is for any reason not signed up to one of the scams, or just some DIY bod who thinks he/she knows best.

... Ethics aside, what work am I actually allowed to do on my own house as an unqualified electrician? ...
Hi Purple - to me the question is who will be responsible for the work? If I make a change and later someone is hurt I will be responsible. If you make a change it will be likewise, just saying. Separate from that is the lawful need to comply with building regs which you've mentioned. On insurance, I suspect it may be like unauthorised modifications to cars and they will limit their liability if there was a fire or something.

Thanks Guys... Interesting stuff. Given that you guys being qualified and have different/apposing interpretations on the subject.I actually feel a little better that I was/am struggling to get my head around it all and any clear cut black and white answers on the subject,

How about this..

Let's assume filling out a certificate was a legal requirement.
If I went out and purchased say a 17th edition specced tester and performed the tests myself. Could I, as 'Johnny nobody' with no tangible proof of competence, fill out the certificates myself or do I need to be affiliated with some kind of governing professional body (NICEIC etc...)?

BS7671 requires all electrical installation work to be inspected and tested. There is no requirement for the person conducting the inspection and testing to be registered, affiliated or even qualified.

but BS7671 is not statutory. so no legal requirement.

agreed, but partp only applies to notifiable works.the OP was more concerned with minor works and how much he could reasonablydohimself.

Part P applies to all electrical work.
In order to comply with Part P, reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering from fire or injury.

Reply to What electrical work am I allowed to do as an unqualified homeowner? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock