Discuss What is 3-way wiring? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

foolios

I took a picture of the wiring to a wall switch because it has 4 connections onto it rather than 3. I did a switch previously in the house that only had a ground and two wires. This switch has a ground, two wires, plus this extra wire that goes from this switch to another switch just next to it in the same box.
I was wanting to replace this switch with a single pole dimmer. This is when I discovered this odd wiring pattern. I figured I could just remove the wire that goes between switches from the equation but the dimmer will not work.
I noticed that the box did say that a 3-way system will need a 3-way dimmer. But it also mentions how to make the 3-way wiring work with the single-pole by removing the ground. Well, whatever that's all about will not work because their diagram does not match the dimmer switch at all...

What is 3-way wiring? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

1) Ok, so what is this extra wire between switches all about?

2) Why couldn't I get the dimmer to work with the wiring in this box?

Thanks in advance.

Presumably you hadn't been mulling it over for the 2 and a bit years since the thread was started.

You presume right! I only just came across it,

IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE, unless like I say, he's not a trained spark?
or it was his VERY first week ? (20 + yrs, and JIB registered aswell)

have i missed something here? where did 20+ and jib come from. by the ref' to ground, don't think he's even in the |UK.

Apprentice/trainee, domestic installer, DIYer, unconventional wiring, never come across the situation before...
It's difficult to say, the picture seems to have expired.

Exactly. He mentions taking a picture so I would have thought he'd posted it or a link to it, otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned it.
I can't see the picture either, so I'm guessing it's somehow 'expired'.

probably burnt the house down and rebuilt it by now

DIY'r ,
No I HAVE not spent 2 years mulling over it, like I said, I just came across it, and yes I am a Career Spark! with 20 + yrs etc etc etc,
And yes Ground? could mean he's outside of UK,
But then again , WHO KNOW'S ? now-days with C U L8R , peoples grammer now a days, and a GCSE course in English and Maths, whilst studying for a Electricians exam, THE SYSTEMS all a pot!!!!

DIY'r ,
No I HAVE not spent 2 years mulling over it, like I said, I just came across it, and yes I am a Career Spark! with 20 + yrs etc etc etc,
And yes Ground? could mean he's outside of UK,
But then again , WHO KNOW'S ? now-days with C U L8R , peoples grammer now a days, and a GCSE course in English and Maths, whilst studying for a Electricians exam, THE SYSTEMS all a pot!!!!
Pot, kettle, glass houses.

Pot kettle, and when in glass houses?

How do you come to that conclusion? READ my last thread,

GRAMMER "TEXT TALK" C U L8R" and Somebody calling a "EARTH" a ground because they've been
watching to much US TV,

I did not do a GCSE at College, I took MINE AT SCHOOL, not as a EXTRA to the 16th or 17th? Because the systems all gone to "pot"

Last edited by a moderator:
is it just me or is every thread on electricians forum turning into an argument ????? it`s getting boring...... my daddy can fight your daddy by the way :)

Yea yea what ever, boys,
Ok Mark, yep I should of checked dates,
Excusse me for being Conscientous and Experienced, Spark

Why? Because I see the lack of training an understanding of "our " Trade /Skills everyday,
And no my Dad cant fight yours , as my Dad is 84!!!!!!!

Reply to What is 3-way wiring? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock