Discuss What qualification is actually needed for EICR on private rented? Race to bottom. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
When we consider EICR reports for the Private Rented Sector, we usually think an electrician completing any EICR should be qualified and experienced (L3 electrical, plus 18th edition, plus Test and Inspection, plus experience) and a member of a competence scheme (NICEIC, NAPIT etc) but is the actually the case?

Now that more people will require reports, will this lead to a race to the bottom, with the rise of price based in and out certificates to tick boxes.

As I read the regulations:

Private Rented Sector Regulations require a "Report" - (usually an Electrical Installation Condition Report or EICR), but in theory could be any level of report?

The PRS regulations say that this should be by a person who is "qualified and competent", but does not specify what qualifications are required.

The government definition of "qualified" is "“qualified person” means a person competent to undertake the inspection and testing required under regulation 3(1) and any further investigative or remedial work in accordance with the electrical safety standards;

So, in actual fact, no formal qualification is actually required - as long as the person is "competent". This of course raises the question how do you prove competence (usually via the appropriate qualification, but this could be argued to be experienced based, carrying out similar work previously etc)

It is also stated that memberships of CPS schemes is not compulsory to ensure there is no further pressure placed on the industry, nor undue burden placed on inspectors and testers.

So if I read this correctly, a EICR in the private rented sector can actually be completed by anyone without any formal qualification as long as they "sign a checklist certifying their competence, including their experience, whether they have adequate insurance and hold a qualification covering the current version of the Wiring Regulations and the periodic inspection, testing and certification of electrical installations"

So at this point, anyone who completes just 2382-18, and with appropriate insurance could complete EICR, as 18th Edition covers "Wiring Regulations and the periodic inspection, testing and certification of electrical installations", without actually taking C&G 2391-52

I would agree that experience in far more valuable that a couple of days knocking out a exam - but according to the regulations am I reading it right?

Pass the opener, there's a can of worms here....

My own personal opinion with this is that simply no-one really knows simply because as you've highlighted - define "competent". The cynic in me says that this will become the next cash cow for the scams and someone will devise a test and inspect 'qualification' that's tailored solely to simple 1ph domestic circuits and then sell that as the solution. In fairness, you don't see much containment and 3ph in Mrs Miggins bungalow so my 2391-10 does seem a bit of a waste on her.....

I think regulations and advice are herding landlords toward properly qualified people. That is with 2391 and LVL 3 plus experience. As always there will be unscrupulous landlords and "inspectors" who slip through the net. This is the way life works. Later there will be, as a result of the above, people who are hurt and injured. PTB will learn lessons and will draw a line under it, and then sell us the latest XYZ to fit in the CU. Becoming the richer for it all.

This will be another cash cow in a short while, as soon as someone is injured as a result of a drive by from an unqualified uninsured self proclaimed testy bloke.
Like all the scams already they would be a great idea and would very much improve safety if they were properly thought out and properly implemented!

Last edited:
The other way to deal with this... is to have very severe penalties if it's proved that the 'tester' was negligent in some way. That way, the onus is put on the individual to ensure that he has the knowledge and experience.

Of course, this is totally contrary to the way the 'modern world' operates... who prefer the 'you must have certificate 1234' type approach.

This is the problem it’s easy to be regarded as competent but in reality you don’t have a scooby doo. It’s a difficult one and none of us have a definitive answer apart from the fact that the person conducting the EICR can leave the property and in no doubt know that the electrics are safe for continued use. Try not to leave the property with any C1, C2 or FI classifications if possible rectify there and then

I have found with NAPIT they wanted to see my level 3 certs and 2391 cert as well as seeing EICR I have done and how many years I have done it, before I can go on their list, so I am not too sure that is correct that they are putting anyone with experience of changing batteries on the list @bill01803. They are positively asking for these items prior to that.

I have the same experience with NAPIT as @Vortigern. I recently transferred in after years elsewhere and was still put through a whole separate wringer for EICR accreditation. My joy was taking Assessor through some of their more interesting EICR codes in the book. Top chap took it on the chin :)

I see that the NICEIC are not putting the DIs on the list but napit has put everyone on including 2 week wonders

Not true at all, i had to show2391, PI ins, meter cals, previous EICRS the whole shebang to get on the eicr list

Also 3 of the 4 estate agents that i have undertaken landlord eicr s for have asked (and checked) im on the competant person register so it appears it going in theright direction ???

I suppose maybe its legally down to them or the landlord that they ensure the test is undertaken by someone competent (you can only hope)

I see that the NICEIC are not putting the DIs on the list but napit has put everyone on including 2 week wonders

As others have said this is not correct. I have recently gone over to Napit from Stroma. For EICR work I needed to prove 2394/5, professional indemnity and previous EICRs.

However, what is true is if you don’t have these Napit will sell you a 2 day self learning or 5 day trainer led course where you can prove competence. I think it’s an online written test and then a practical on the 2391 rigs. I think they require previous experience but I guess they wouldn’t make you prove it? So I guess in theory you could do a short course and then the 2 day assessment, and proving you pass The Napit assessment be included on the list.

I have looked for a government site with a copy the the "check list" can't find one. I can find organisations who have published one, but not an official government one.

While hunting I did find a memorandum which says what they expected, and this seems to say at least 4 years in the trade. See 12.10. That does seem reasonable, but it is a memorandum not the law.

12.10 Carrying out an inspection of electrical installations is a complex task that requires an extra level of qualification and competence achieved beyond the standard 4-year vocational route commonly followed by qualified inspectors and testers. Therefore, Government will develop, with industry experts, new guidance for landlords stipulating who can carry out the mandatory electrical installation checks.

Reply to What qualification is actually needed for EICR on private rented? Race to bottom. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net