Discuss What’s going on with this radial in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Called to a property which has just been sold to do an EICR
The sockets down stairs including the kitchen were on a 16a 2.5 radial the issue being the Zs for the first couple of sockets were about average readings but the last few and the sockets in the kitchen went from 0.90 ohms to 1.19 ohms. Personally I wouldn’t put a kitchen on a radial but that’s just my preference. But why the higher than normal results could it be a case of more than one spur from a socket That’s giving me high readings also 16a is just not cutting it. The property had an EICR done a few months ago but no concern over higher readings on socket radial for the down stairs sockets including the kitchen being on a 16a 2.5 cable your comments would be appreciated

It's a radial, the further away from the protective device the higher the reading will be. However a sudden jump (like you have here) is a sign of loose termination/bad connection/large distance between 2 points etc.

It's still compliant but worth investigating if it's close to the last (lower reading) point.

Is the cpc 1mm or 1.5 - maybe a mix of both plus older wiring plus changes - otherwise connection loose or a hidden connection box.

2.30, before corrections for temp. and Cmin. ( Cmin correction then gives 2.185.

What about the kitchen ,it is running of f it as well 16a would this be enough or should I suggest putting a separate feed in.

Depends on the load, in most cases one 16A radial is unlikely to provide enough power for a kitchen. Also, 1.19ohms, if there are no poor connections and assuming you are talking about 2.5mm2 twin and earth means the circuit is about 60m long at that point (off the top of my head might be a couple of meters out) and volt drop may well be over 5%

EDIT just noticed you said Zs not R1R2 so my calc and point about volt drop may not be valid, what's the Ze?

cut kitchen out of existing radial. leave that for the downstairs sockets, then new 4mm radial or 2.5mm rfc for kitchen. if rfc, you can probably re-use a lot of the existing kitchen wiring.just make it into a rfc.

I’m getting the feeling this might be a final ring broken into 2 radials - but maybe not correctly. Do you see 2 radials that could have been a ring. What you are describing doesn’t make sense. It’s factual and correct but nonsense at the same time. Your further investigation is crucial.

I’m getting the feeling this might be a final ring broken into 2 radials - but maybe not correctly. Do you see 2 radials that could have been a ring. What you are describing doesn’t make sense. It’s factual and correct but nonsense at the same time. Your further investigation is crucial.
I did notice a cable cut out int the kitchen and thought that myself I have asked the buyer to contact the previous owner to see if they could shine any light on any work that’s been done prior the sale

This is important. You might well have found the reason this is a such conundrum.

Reply to What’s going on with this radial in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock