Discuss What’s going on with this radial in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I’m not comfortable with the fact downstairs sockets and the kitchen are all on a 16a what do you think.

Nor would I be. Kettle and a toaster alone are likely to cause an overload and trip!
The readings for a radial are possibly ok but if a significant jump in Zs between sockets (unless long run of cable) then further investigation required as previously suggested.
As it is an EICR recommend upgrading to

Nor would I be. Kettle and a toaster alone are likely to cause an overload and trip!QUOTE]

A little pedantic of me but if it's a fairly typical kettle (3kw rating) and toaster (2kw rating) then they may not cause the MCB to trip at all as they will be pulling up to 21.73A max and (from memory so could be slightly off) MCBs must, as a minimum, trip at 1.45 times their rating in under an hour, in this instance 23.2A, so 21.73A may not be enough to make it trip ever, let alone within the 5 minutes the kettle is on.

I had to split a ring final in a non domestic premises last week, open cpcs which could not be rectified. Ended up with five outlets on one, seven on the other. Zs for one 0.64 the other 1.66. The low reading the first part of the circuit the high one went all the way over and back to the middle.

Electric Magic said - A little pedantic of me.

Just a bit I could have used 'dishwasher' and 'washing machine' as an example but you get the picture!

Thanks again for your comments. Just to update. I called the previous owner and asked if they could shed any light and after 10 minutes of uming and aring told me that he had an issue with the downstairs ring so the electrician he used cut one leg of the RFC and layed another cable to it and the rest is still on with the kitchen 16a

Reply to What’s going on with this radial in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock