Discuss What's the correct amperage fuse for my PC? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sp01

Hi

Can someone tell me if they know the correct amperage for a mains plug fuse that's plugged into a 230-volt power supply unit in a UK PC? I called the computer's maker, HP, and they said that they think it should use a 5A fuse, but they weren't sure. I don't actually have a a 5A mains plug, however, so I don't know if this information is correct. They told me to ask an electrician, because they didn't know for sure.

This information is written on the PSU itself:
Input 100-127V ~7A 200-240V ~4A 50/60Hz

I take it that that info is stating that I should be using a fuse that's approximately 4 amps. Is that right? I'm almost certain that this PC came with a 10-amp fuse, though, so which is the right one to use?

Thanks very much in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are talking about the power lead itself (IEC Lead) then a standard 5A sounds about right for a PC. Based on your input power of 200-240V 4A (in UK)

You must remember that the fuse in the plugtop is there to protect the cable and not the PC. Therefore dependant on the size of the cable will be dependant on which fuse rating would have been installed by the manufacture to protect the cable.

It maybe the case that the cable can take upto a rating of 13amps, but ideally you should use a fuse that is slightly higher than the power used (in your case 4A) as some manufacturuers will install 5A or 10A as a standard.

Manufacturers will sometimes install an internal fuse for electronic equipment for the purpose of protecting it seperately.

Hope this Helps!

Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
I called HP again, and this time they said I need a 13-amp fuse in it. The new person I talked to said that a 5-amp fuse would "drain the system".

I called HP again, and this time they said I need a 13-amp fuse in it. The new person I talked to said that a 5-amp fuse would "drain the system".

I don't see why a fuse is not a current/flow limiting device (apart from stopping it altogether when it goes) and won't sap any power away, I think on that call the phone was answered by the cleaner.

Okay, thanks a lot guys. The store from which I bought the computer, Comet, emailed me and said I should use a 5 amp with it, too. I just had a feeling that it didn't come with a 5-amp plug. Thanks a lot for your help.

Reply to What's the correct amperage fuse for my PC? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock