Discuss What's wrong with this circuit breaker box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Beridan

DIY
Reaction score
It might be easier to list the few things right with it. I have noted what appears to be burnt or frayed hot wires. I have only seen the pictures provided but this looks less than professional to me. The house is 1957 construction and may have aluminum wiring (probable cause for the burnt wires?). Appears that moisture is penetrating the can because there are signs of corrosion. What do you think? Time for the pros to install a new panel box? This is in Las Vegas, NV if that matters any.

Attachments

• IMG952020012795141124208.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG952020012795141137031.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 39
If it's aluminium wiring I'd personally rewire with copper because of the increased fire risk I wouldn't want to live with. The circuit breakers are probably fully functional but the panel needs a decent tidy-up. Again, if it were my house I'd replace the board entirely because the cost of a new panel is that high and it will make life a lot easier if you want to make future additions and alterations.

How come we see US stuff on here now? As much as there are parallels we UK electricians are not really the people to ask. Sorry I realise this isn't very helpful just a general point.

How come we see US stuff on here now? As much as there are parallels we UK electricians are not really the people to ask. Sorry I realise this isn't very helpful just a general point.
Because we now have US and Australian forums.

It might be easier to list the few things right with it. I have noted what appears to be burnt or frayed hot wires. I have only seen the pictures provided but this looks less than professional to me. The house is 1957 construction and may have aluminum wiring (probable cause for the burnt wires?). Appears that moisture is penetrating the can because there are signs of corrosion. What do you think? Time for the pros to install a new panel box? This is in Las Vegas, NV if that matters any.
Berdin that panel does need to be changed to a 200 amp 40 circuit panel. The white wire on the main breaker is just not right it looks like you have copper wire except for the main feed coming and it should 4 wire not 3 wire and use 2/0 copper. Yes it needs updating
[automerge]1580513920[/automerge]
Berdin that panel does need to be changed to a 200 amp 40 circuit panel. The white wire on the main breaker is just not right it looks like you have copper wire except for the main feed coming and it should 4 wire not 3 wire and use 2/0 copper. Yes it needs updating

Please get who ever you hire to make that panel look neat, that panels ugly. When you do upgrade the inspector also is looking as quoted in the 2020 NEC it has to be done in a neat workmanship manner. He could fail you for that. Good luck and welcome to the forum
[automerge]1580514295[/automerge]
So is the amount of testing that seems to go on there. Or not.
I got to agree DPG we don’t have near as much testing as y’all do. The inspector has a tool to put 32ma on the RCD’s to check trip time and also we all have a plug in devise to tell if the polarity is crossed, open ground, etc

Last edited:

Reply to What's wrong with this circuit breaker box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net