Discuss When a stubborn immersion element wont budge! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
I have had to admit defeat today on a dodgy immersion element, tested it and found its cause of rcd tripping, so try to get the element out...
easier said than done, I tried usual box spanner, taps with hammer, plenty of wd40, still not come loose... its been in since 2002 according to the customer as he recalls the football world cup being on at the time in japan!
heat gun is not viable due to amount of foam and insulation surrounding the tank... would be just my luck to end up burning the place down.

I have told him now that if i keep trying to get this thing out then he runs risk of me damaging the tank, possibly beyond repair, so he needs to call a plumber to either get it out or if hes skilled enough make a hole for a new replacement element, leaving the old in situ... I will then return to connect up.
This is the bit where it gets funny... he already called a plumber who said its an electricians job! but is now going to call a proper plumber!
Whats peoples methods for getting the stubborn old ones out of the tank?

Some times i think its best to admit defeat, go home and relax. I have once before seen a tank split where somebody used a tube to get extra leverage on the box spanner and yanked so hard it pulled the tank out of position and tore the metal. I did not want it to be me this time, especially as i only included £60 + materials for this part of the job. The other bits I have done and charged for apart from this.

I have had to admit defeat today on a dodgy immersion element, tested it and found its cause of rcd tripping, so try to get the element out...
easier said than done, I tried usual box spanner, taps with hammer, plenty of wd40, still not come loose... its been in since 2002 according to the customer as he recalls the football world cup being on at the time in japan!
heat gun is not viable due to amount of foam and insulation surrounding the tank... would be just my luck to end up burning the place down.

I have told him now that if i keep trying to get this thing out then he runs risk of me damaging the tank, possibly beyond repair, so he needs to call a plumber to either get it out or if hes skilled enough make a hole for a new replacement element, leaving the old in situ... I will then return to connect up.
This is the bit where it gets funny... he already called a plumber who said its an electricians job! but is now going to call a proper plumber!
Whats peoples methods for getting the stubborn old ones out of the tank?

Some times i think its best to admit defeat, go home and relax. I have once before seen a tank split where somebody used a tube to get extra leverage on the box spanner and yanked so hard it pulled the tank out of position and tore the metal. I did not want it to be me this time, especially as i only included £60 + materials for this part of the job. The other bits I have done and charged for apart from this.
You could try cracking it the other way(tightening it) just a smidgen to break the Plumber's Mate seal, I suspect that is what is holding it tight, of course this could prove damaging to the tank, your call Gavin.

I tried tightening to break seal already @Pete999 I have tried all the usual tricks. Hence why I have admitted defeat, this way I can avoid responsibility if it all goes wrong and splits. He has a plumber coming out tomorrow to have a go.... I have said to him im happy to come back to connect it up as i have tested the circuit and its all compliant.. so guess its a case of wait for the plumber to try and get it out...
Not all bad though as hes paid for the new element already, just he cant currently use it!

one of them jobs that merits a premium for when
it does go wrong. No heat, leave it full, immersion
heater spanner and stillsons.
Once pulled a thermostat off and immersion started weeing
at me, the sleeve had a hole.

one of them jobs that merits a premium for when
it does go wrong. No heat, leave it full, immersion
heater spanner and stillsons.
Once pulled a thermostat off and immersion started weeing
at me, the sleeve had a hole.
Don't know about you Dean but if I was removing an immersion heater I would enpty the Cylinder.

I had one of these recently - immersion kept tripping, suspected corroded element. The cylinder had 2 sacrificial anodes in it which were meant to be changed every 6 months or so but apparently had never been done. Neither elements nor anodes would budge.

We got a plumber in to replace the cylinder.

you need to use this type of spanner,
When a stubborn immersion element wont budge! {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

a flat one and a lump hammer. otherwise the force is not direct to the element hex. several quick sharp taps always works for me. ans a s pervious opsts. keep tank full till lock is cracked.

oh, and i never drain the tank, just turn off the flow into it. syphon a bit off when the element is out.

With the coal strike in its prime I had work up to my eyeballs installing immersions for coal mining folk;)

When the blank or old element would not move, cutting a hole and sweating a boss into the tank was a easy job,a lot less stressful than worrying about distorting or tearing a thin copper tank
Its best left in situ if its a pig of a job to remove

Remember the old prefabs :)

Unscrew the element and out with it,the mate would catch the flow in his bucket
Screw the new one back in before the bucket was filled

Start and finish of the job was about 10 minutes total
Was paid for time draining down and all silly things like that:)

Reply to When a stubborn immersion element wont budge! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock