Discuss Where are you getting your metal buckle clips in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Wheres the best value for £ metal buckle clips to be found in 2019, ive seen the SAREN ones but they are well pricey, and you need to buy the nails for them separately. The Shneider metal clips from screwfix £12 per 100 wtf. Where are the compliant housebashers getting clips for T&E nowdays ??

521.10.202 Wiring systems shall be supported such that they will not be liable to premature collapse in the event of a fire.

NOTE 1: Wiring systems hanging across access or egress routes may hinder evacuation and firefighting activities.
NOTE 2: Cables installed in or on steel cable containment systems are deemed to meet the requirements of this regulation.
NOTE 3: This regulation precludes, for example, the use of non-metallic cable clips or cable ties as the sole means of support where cables are clipped direct to exposed surfaces or suspended under cable tray, and the use of non-metallic cable trunking as the sole means of support of the cables therein.
NOTE 4: Suitably spaced steel or copper clips, saddles or ties are examples that will meet the requirements of this regulation.

The Schneider clips are actually quite nice and you don't have to use them along the entire run. Every third clip or something is probably going to be enough.

Personally, I'd like to get some buckle clips but like you @haptism I've not managed to find them at a decent price.

This isn't for clipped direct but the clips used in this video are smart (bit pricey) but gives a good explanation of premature collapse and whats required

(spot the upside down sockets :))

think pirate confused with turnbuckles. they're magical adjusters for rigging stays etc.

I'd struggle to think of too many places in a domestic install where I would need buckle clips really.

Only place i can think of is in a garage, don't think I've ever just clipped a cable across someones living room wall.

If we are running surface cabling then its usually mini trunking and those D-Line clips.

Only place i can think of is in a garage, don't think I've ever just clipped a cable across someones living room wall.

If we are running surface cabling then its usually mini trunking and those D-Line clips.

How about a 5m run along a single joist (without going through the joist itself) in a loft with lathe ceiling below, what about that !

Lathe :eek: I hardly ever see that stuff anymore. I'd not really thought about it but I guess the fire rating is pretty bad.

Would it still be considered 'premature collapse of the wiring system' if the ceiling below has already collapsed? Obviously fitting a metallic clip is going to be best practice, you can't really go wrong then but it makes me wonder where to draw the line at 'premature collapse'.

Edit: D-Line advertise their clips being used outside of trunking also so I guess thats an option. Idk what the price of them is like, I'm on the books so just book them out at wholesaler :D

Last edited:
If the fabric of the building has collapsed then the collapse of the wiring system could hardly be described as premature.

Good point Andy, can I ask where you would consider installing metal buckle clips or similar in domestic ?

Other than clipped direct at high level in a loft; or along a hall, or over a door (which would likely be in trunking anyhow, utilising metal u-clips), I cant think of any other scenarios.

Good point Andy, can I ask where you would consider installing metal buckle clips or similar in domestic ?

Other than clipped direct at high level in a loft; or along a hall, or over a door (which would likely be in trunking anyhow, utilising metal u-clips), I cant think of any other scenarios.

Like you say, up high in a loft might be a good idea, and across a joist in a garage, but otherwise not many cases in domestic work where I would clip direct where the cable would not be supported by the building fabric.

Reply to Where are you getting your metal buckle clips in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock