Discuss Where do i stand if i accept this work? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

TPES

I have had a builder ring me asking if i would like abit of work.

He has his own firm building extensions and conservatories.

He says he's done an extension of 2 upstairs bedrooms. and all the wiring has been done. and all there is to do is 2nd fix, simply put socket fronts on and light switches, then just connect up in consumer unit.

The work is no problem but if i accept this where does this stand on being tested? Ive explained i cant test this my self. Is he responsible for getting it tested or me?

what questions would you be asking about the install/work?

What do you guys think to accepting this work.

dodgy ground to be honest, personally I woulnt put my name to anything I dont know has been one 100% right

Why can you not test the work?

Yeah i understand, i might just forget the job, dont want to take any risks without knowing about the install

Montybabers right.

I would tell the builder that your happy to install any work from the start but not pick up after some as already been installed. You don't know have the cables have been run, how deep and how safe. :(

Its a regular call for me from builders, just looking for someone to put a name to the work thats been completed. :mad:

Its a no-no from me. Far to risky :(

The other thing is that if any of us electricians do this, it means that the builder will always do the install if they can just get a signature from a spark and we lose out on the electrical work.

Last edited by a moderator:
totally agree. by signing it off you are accepting reponsibility for the first fix work, which may not be upto regs. the proper way to do is to notify LABC who with then charge and get one of there approved contractors to carry out a detailed inpection and test. whilst doing this they can request that a percentage of the plaster be be chased out and floorboards lifted to check a percentage of the installation

have been asked many times second fix and certify other peoples/non part P electricans work, the answer is always no. (unless I have been able to look at the routing of the cables prior to plastering

Reply to Where do i stand if i accept this work? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock