Discuss Why do i need a rewire when i've passed inspection with no issues? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

davidc123

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

I'm having some work done at my house and the electrician has said we need a full rewire. I'm a bit surprised given that we passed an inspection 2 years ago and it raised no issues at all. We've just been told that the wiring is illegal and needs changing. Maybe i'm not understanding the point of the inspection certificate, but how is it possible for the inspection to raise no issues and yet it actually needs a full rewire? I've attached a page from the report, if it helps.

Also, I'm being charged £17k + VAT for a 4 bed house, which seems high to me. Is it?

Thanks

TL;DR
Passed inspection with no issues but another electrician says i need a full rewire

Attachments

• cert.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
There is no such thing a "illegal wiring". It maybe unsafe to varying degrees, but that is a somewhat different matter.

Have you go the rest of the test report (names/addresses redacted before posting)?

Can you provide some photos of the current installation, for example, around the fusebox?

To me this smells very fishy. First I would be asking the electrician for a written report on what points are failing inspection and the relevant regulations behind them (as is normal for a detailed EICR).

Thanks, i thought the illegal wiring comment was nonsense. I've attached other pages from the report and a photo of the fusebox

I'm not actually sure he looked at the fusebox though. He was more concerned about the wiring in the rest of the house, which had the older red/black colours

Attachments

• cert2.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 63
  • cert3.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 70
  • cert4.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 68
  • cert5.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 69
  • cert1.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
'Illegal' Wiring

Reaction GIF

Very curious about this one!
Do you have a page of the report that lists C1, C2, C3 and FI codes for the circuits?
It's not a Report. It's merely a certificate for replacement of the DB only, so the OP appears to be misunderstanding what it is stating. It relates only to the work carried out and does not declare that the installation is fine.

That's an EIC for a consumer unit change rather than an EICR
Ah OK, that's where the misunderstanding is. Thanks for the help.

On the other point, is 17k+vat a reasonable cost for a 4 bed house? We're having a new kitchen / diner, utility room and play room fitted too, so new points as well as a rewire of the house

Ah OK, that's where the misunderstanding is. Thanks for the help.

On the other point, is 17k+vat a reasonable cost for a 4 bed house? We're having a new kitchen / diner, utility room and play room fitted too, so new points as well as a rewire of the house
Depends on the property, the spec of what you want, your location, whether it's occupied or not.
I'd get another quote though rather than rely solely on the electrician(s) that have said your wiring is illegal.

Sounds reasonable to me but then it would if I could get that price for a rewire. Check insurance and scheme membership before employing any electrician. In the South West where I am a four bed house with decent re-wire spec....6-8k is ball park. London 10-12k up North 2k.

First things First does the old wiring really new Re-Wiring

If its all needs re-wiring for example is old imperial cable or no cpc on lighting then £17K for a re-wire and new wiring of extension seems reasonable to me

But a job of this scope I would get ATLEAST 3 quotes maybe even 4 quotes

Me too! Or where i simply want to disguise my interventions!
Still got plenty red/black drums of cable in my garage...

Red and black is pre 2007, unless you’re Dusty….

Not a valid reason for a rewire, there’s 50 year old red and black in perfectly good condition.

If there was a serious issue at the time of the CU change, it would have been documented at the time or fixed…..

The current electrician is trying it on in my opinion…. But of course, we’re not there, so we don’t know what’s he’s seen.

Reply to Why do i need a rewire when i've passed inspection with no issues? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net