Search the forum,

Discuss Wiring meter tails into switched fuse? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

RubberGrommet

Using a fused 80A switch at origin to protrect SWA running to consumer unit on upstairs flat.

I've wired it so that the meter tails enter at the top of the double pole isolator i.e the tails running to the meter are fused rather than the supply to the consumer unit.

The meter installation guy has insisted that they be swappwed round saying that the meter tails must enter the switch and the SWA line is what should go into the fuse-holder. As it turns out not a problem but as far as I can see both solutions provide a double pole isolator between meter and consumer unit and overload protection so what's the deal?

Because the double pole switch should isolate the supply not the fuse which is basically single pole.
when you pull the fuse you should isolate first via double pole switch

Using a fused 80A switch at origin to protrect SWA running to consumer unit on upstairs flat.

I've wired it so that the meter tails enter at the top of the double pole isolator i.e the tails running to the meter are fused rather than the supply to the consumer unit.

The meter installation guy has insisted that they be swappwed round saying that the meter tails must enter the switch and the SWA line is what should go into the fuse-holder. As it turns out not a problem but as far as I can see both solutions provide a double pole isolator between meter and consumer unit and overload protection so what's the deal?

You do not own the tails from the head to the meter, they are the property of the DNO. The tails FROM the meter are yours. If you need to provide an isolator on your supply this must LEGALLY be upstream of the meter because you are not legally allowed to interfere with the DNO services, you risk being charged with a criminal offence.

You do not own the tails from the head to the meter, they are the property of the DNO. The tails FROM the meter are yours. If you need to provide an isolator on your supply this must LEGALLY be upstream of the meter because you are not legally allowed to interfere with the DNO services, you risk being charged with a criminal offence.

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Yup, only the DNO is allowed to put an isolator between the head and a meter. The exception would be were the head feeds a DNO master meter and this then feeds a DB or split services to sub meters, then you could install an isolator between the master meter and the sub meters. It's all laid out in the Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002 and the ACOPs that the DNO's all have to abide by.

Yup, only the DNO is allowed to put an isolator between the head and a meter. The exception would be were the head feeds a DNO master meter and this then feeds a DB or split services to sub meters, then you could install an isolator between the master meter and the sub meters. It's all laid out in the Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002 and the ACOPs that the DNO's all have to abide by.

I agree .... what confuses me is what you're calling upstream of the meter. ............ Be gentle - I'm just a thick old Geordie. ;)

Reply to Wiring meter tails into switched fuse? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net